Project Cost-- Pricing

larry merlau

Ok as i stated in the original thread it has been brought to my attention on this sewing cabinet of a cost factor,, so lets see what you folks feel the this would cost.. and the price it should go for..

give me your material cost..
your time needed to complete it..
and the selling cost..

the dimensions are 24x36x36 with the leaf folded on to the top.. 8 drawers solid wood drawers w/ply bottoms
Stained and Lacquer finish. no casters.

so lets see how you folks do on the answers and any questions you have on this i will try to answer.

now that i have this typed,, i think it probably should be in the design forum but if not then ok but if the mods feel it needs t be moved go for it.

tn_sewing cabinet-FINAL.jpg

Not nearly enough information for me to guess. Two things you already know - material costs and the time it took you to make it. Your market plays a good part in the selling price. So you want me to determine material costs to me in my area, my time given my work practices, tools, and experience, and then come up with a selling price that might work in my geographical area. A good exercise for those who might want to play, but this is not a 5 minute project. The numbers I come up with can't possibly help you.

I know I sound harsh, but I am trying to apply a good deal of realism here. You are not, none of us are, competing on a global basis, only on our own local basis. The local variables are the only ones that count for each of us.

And the bottom line is this: Is the difference between what it cost to make and deliver and the selling price worth my time and effort? What is satisfactory to you may be way inadequate to me. Or the other way around.

One more thing. You especially noted solid wood drawers and no other features and benefits. This suggests to me that the solid wood doors are more important to the builder than they are to the end user. Buyers make buying decisions on what is important and valuable to them. Only artists who create from the need to express themselves and then hope someone will resonate with what they have created, can disregard features and benefits of their 'product.' Sort of a 'neither beast nor fowl' thing.

Back to your homework, Larry. What does your local sewing shop think they will sell for? What is the commission of said shop? What are your hard costs? Do the math. Can you live with the difference? Divide that difference by the time and then ask yourself if you can live with that hourly rate. Will that hourly rate cover all your overhead expenses and leave you something to jingle in your pocket?

Sorry to be tough on you, but I want you to succeed, and asking a ballpark question as you did won't help YOU!

Just for fun 500 in materials 800 in labor plus P and OH = 1430
Opps forgot delivery add another 150 if it was less than 50 miles.

Last edited:
I'm probably going to be way off Larry but I'll give it a shot. So far everything I've made I give away for free or material cost. So this exercise will be a learning experience for me.

I'm assuming you are using drawer slides.

Here goes. Drawer slides $120.00, Drawer pulls $40.00, hinges $60.00, wood $140.00.
Time. Not sure. It would take me a couple of weeks minimum (i'm easily distracted :rofl:) You, I'd say 4 days work including finishing.

Material cost total $340.00 Selling price $650.00- $700.00 :dunno: Also assuming that you are not giving a special price to a friend or relative.

i understand your busy carol so dont worry about it:), the drawers are solid wood for the purpose of cost factor for the estimating and no joinery methods mentioned for the same reason. we are just making this for a imaginary customer in your local, and using your material costs, we are not selling this threw any store or gallery its for customer 1 period.. and as for not doing me any good well this is done and gone and i am just curious as to how others would have treated this..as i was asked by the other member..and i am assuming the quality is good from all..no qualifications on that either. just stained and finished as shown.:)

I'll have to plead the 5th for now as I would probably underestimate how much material I'd need, take three times longer to build it than I planned, not charge for delivery as I was probably going to "pass right by there" anyway, and wind up losing money on the deal.

Carol and Rob, I may be off base here, but I don't think Larry is asking for advice. As I see it, he's putting the question out there as an exercise for others, as well as to spark some conversation. He's not asking what he should sell it for, he's asking what we would sell it for and why. He's seeking discussion, not direction. ;)

Carol and Rob, I may be off base here, but I don't think Larry is asking for advice. As I see it, he's putting the question out there as an exercise for others, as well as to spark some conversation. He's not asking what he should sell it for, he's asking what we would sell it for and why. He's seeking discussion, not direction. ;)
+1 on that:thumb::thumb:

yup vaughn has it right folks,, i am using my exercise as a sample of what would you do to activate your thoughts and maybe get some realization as i did that what we think isnt always what should be.. first impressions from the builder or the customer can be something that we need to consider more than i did.. my thoughts were different at the time than they are now. for example i had a half sheet of oak ply laying around and thought i could use it, wrong it didnt even come close tot eh rest that i needed in grain structure as i look back i would have been better off to use it on the bottom than to half to go get two matching shts..

Last edited:
Glad your thoughts are growing!

Rob and I come from a different perspective as some of you have related with remarks about how long it would take and given an expectation of losing money on it in any event. :) :eek:

As for me, my flying guess would be +$1500, depending on delivery. Maybe $300-$400 wood, $150 hardware, $150 finishing materials, 40 hours at $50 per hour including overhead. And I'm losing money!

I'll have to plead the 5th for now as I would probably underestimate how much material I'd need, take three times longer to build it than I planned, not charge for delivery as I was probably going to "pass right by there" anyway, and wind up losing money on the deal.

But Rennie, isn't that what most customers expect??? To them, wood is cheap, hardware can't be that much if you take a day to research where to buy it, and it can't take that much time. Seriously I know that a few people feel this way and you don't mind missing their business. But don't most clients respect your skills, time, materials and overhead when getting a quote on a project?

But Rennie, isn't that what most customers expect??? To them, wood is cheap, hardware can't be that much if you take a day to research where to buy it, and it can't take that much time. Seriously I know that a few people feel this way and you don't mind missing their business. But don't most clients respect your skills, time, materials and overhead when getting a quote on a project?

hey ron, how many loaves of bread can you buy for one respect:) or two for that matter:):)

:threadjacked:All good points. I'm working on a quote right now for a "rustic farm table" similar to the hay rake table featured on the cover of FW last month. It has a lot of wood in it and I'll be delivering it to.... Denver. That's a 1600 mile round trip!

Now, normally, I would not even consider such a thing even if it were being shipped. Just don't want the headaches of damage in transit. However, this is a bit different as I am also building a large table for my daughter in Denver and I'll combine the trip and deliver both at the same time. My goal is to charge enough to cover materials and pay for my trip so I can deliver my daughter's table and visit with her for free....almost.

All that being said, I doubt I will get the job anyway because the customer keeps sending up flags like, "I hope this is within my budget". The wood cost, and my time (considering the fancy joinery) will be significant. Gas alone for the trip will be $500.

We shall see.

bob. bob, bob, shame on you buddy....shame on you......are you suggesting larry adds on 300-350 dollars in labor costs, travel expenses, delivery?

minimum wage in NY is 7.25 an hour right now, and they are trying to get it up over 8.00 an hour.

Im not as wise as alot of you are on this site, nor do I have a smidgen of the experience in woodworking and sales related to custom made woodworking projects........but Ive learned one lesson in life, YOU get what you pay for.

seems to me alot of people either want to gain friends, not clients.

I think before Id build anything for anyone, Id have to first consider if Im making this for a friend, or am I making this for a client.

Well said Vaughn. :thumb: