Chainsaw mishap........

..........and a warning to any woman that might see this. It contains a shot on my leg so please try and contain yourselves!:D

I did this this morning IMAG0389.jpgIMAG0390.jpgwhile helping a friend who had a beech tree fall in his yard clean it up. I was making a cut while standing at an odd angle. After the cut I went to move with the saw idling down and nicked my leg right above the knee. This is the second time I've done this, and it'll be the last. I'll be getting a set of chaps before I do anymore cutting. I dread when the wife finds these pants and wants to know how I cut them.:eek:

Alright, now that that's out of the way. For those of you with chaps what kind do you have and what would you recommend?

@John: you are one lucky dog! Count your stars. As for chaps get the best money can buy. Whatever the amount, it will be less than a trip to the emergency room.

Man, you got lucky. When I was a kid, I saw the results of a neighbor laying a running chainsaw diagonally across his thigh. I heard the scream from about 300 yards away, and the cut was not pretty.

The best chaps I've found, after a lot of research:

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5&idcategory=14

And this video is worth watching:

http://www.labonville.com/videos/v2.htm

Six ply is the way to go. :thumb:

I'll be placing an order Friday morning Vaughn for those very ones. A 20% off sale starts then.

Trust me everyone, I realize how lucky I was, twice!

And yes, I should have gotten them after the first time.

Carol, that's also some good advice. It must be a woman thing, because that's nearly exactly what my wife said.:thumb:

Last edited:
My neighbor probably thinks I'm nuts when he sees me cutting lathe blanks in the driveway with chaps, gloves, and the chainsaw hardhat with the mesh visor and hearing protection, but I rather take a bit of ribbing than get cut.

I like wearing the chaps when I'm clearing the vegetation with the string trimmer on our hillside, too. Not really for the protection, but to keep the weed splatter off my jeans.

I do the eye, ear, feet protection thing. I just haven't gotten the chaps. To be honest it's because I'm frugal. Oh heck I'll admit it, I'm cheap! After this time though I don't want to tempt fate again!

Glad to see it was not worse John. But take heed something positive came from your post. I have never used a chainsaw. Dont own one ....yet but i can tell you that from reading your post and seeing the video Vaughn linked to and hearing how lucky you are, you have ensured that when i do get a chainsaw it will be with chaps thats if i dont buy chaps for use as Vaughn does before i even get the chainsaw.

I suspect there may be others that have had a wake up call as well so lots of good can come from something like this.

Oh John dont feel bad i am cheap too. But it costs sometimes.:)

Thanks for sharing John I for one appreciate the free education.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

John,

Glad the injury wasn't worse than it was!

I have had a chain saw for over 35 years......Still have that same saw....I will order chaps before I use it again.

My neighbor probably thinks I'm nuts when he sees me cutting lathe blanks in the driveway with chaps, gloves, and the chainsaw hardhat with the mesh visor and hearing protection, but I rather take a bit of ribbing than get cut.

I like wearing the chaps when I'm clearing the vegetation with the string trimmer on our hillside, too. Not really for the protection, but to keep the weed splatter off my jeans.

did you remember the titanium-stainless steel alloy other bit of protection? :D:thumb:

John TWICE ! you need to be cut off from working with sharp objects.

HAHA! That threat was made! I guess I'm a little more thick headed than some.

Trust me I heard an ear full, but she was okay after I told her I had ordered the chaps. I guess the 80 bucks or so I paid for the chaps would be a small price compared to an ER visit.

I haven't thought about chaps, but don't run the weed eater without long pants... at least not anymore... I grabbed it up last month and whacked down the hillside behind the house... it was about waist high in weeds.... I had just finished riding the mower and was still in my shorts... my yard has a lot of rocks in the dirt and a weedeaters can throw rocks with enough force to break the skin..... it may take a while but I'm gradually getting smarter...