Hopeful Job UPdate

Ned Bulken

I've been in job hunt mode for several weeks now, since my last employer decided that their path was different than mine. Without rehashing That whole situation, suffice to say I've been house-hubbying along quite nicely. Still need to get a better cash flow, however. Unenjoyment only lasts so long, and right now said former employer is playing games with the state, so the budget is becoming an issue.

Thankfully I have a loving wife and a trio of great kids, the mortgage and vehicle payments are up to date and I'm healthy.

I am in discussion with a firm which does field work for the Telecom and Power industry, and I just got back from my pre-employment screening test. I meet tomorrow with the local field supervisor and hopefully start training classes (Paid) on Monday. Wiener, er, Werner actually may have done me a favor. I'll have the opportunity to make more Money with the new company, just a matter of how hard I work. It is a Field job, however so I'll be on the road much of the time. Not the most ideal situation, but I'm willing to trade home time for bigger paycheck for awhile, if it means getting out of debt and a better house down south. Keep your figners crossed !

Hey Ned, that's great! Good luck with it, always a good sign to get as far as a pre-employment screening. I've always liked field jobs too.

Everytime we're driving around and see a Werner truck, Jean or I say "That Werner's a crazy mixed up kid, but I like him" (James Garner from "The Great Escape").

A lot of what Werner is about I still respect, but the middle managers in the dedicated department and I did NOT see eye to eye. I used to work for Swift, and their corporate model was very different as to who was responsible for what. I guess I didn't adapt when I changed over. I still hold high regard for my former drivers at both companies. THat's a rough life.

A little bit of background, I used to be a road warrior, traveling from city to city doing portrait photography. I Loved it, and if it paid what I hope to make now, I'd go back to that in a heartbeat. I don't see it happening though. From my life on the road before, however, I know all of the 'tricks' on how bests to keep expense records, what to claim on taxes, how to depreciate my vehicle etc... The biggest plus with my hopeful new employers is that They cover the largest expense: Lodging. THey use extended stay mid-range motels. Gas is next, and that's on me, but I have a thrifty 4 banger in my little ole pickup truck. Food, well with the kitchenette, I will be able to eat healthy (though restaurants will be on the menu a couple of times per week). Next up is Phone and telecom, I have a cell phone, and can get a laptop. I'll probably set up a basic 'road' computer for the short term, older machine with a browser and basic office tools. Nothing fancy. A lot depends on where they put me up. Most Hotels these days offer free connectivity in the room, so I'll just be hooking up to their system.

Congrats Ned. Been there an done that. Unemployed for 3 months once and that gets old. Lots of free time but no money.

Now I am self employed (my wife says unemployed again). Don't make enough but I am happy. Thats what counts! Life is to short to be in a unhappy employment relationship!!

Jeff

Good luck Ned, I was out and about today, in the industrial park chasing some bushings. Werner had little yellow signs stuck in the ground all over the place looking for drivers.

How did they ever make out with the paperless log project? I've been out of the over the road industry for quite a while and lost track of it.

Slow
Wagon
In
Fast
Traffic
:rofl: :rofl:

Good luck Ned, I was out and about today, in the industrial park chasing some bushings. Werner had little yellow signs stuck in the ground all over the place looking for drivers.

How did they ever make out with the paperless log project? I've been out of the over the road industry for quite a while and lost track of it.

Slow
Wagon
In
Fast
Traffic
:rofl: :rofl:

Sure
Wish
I had a
Faster
Truck

Stop
Whining
I'm
Flipping (TOS friendly version)
Trying!

They've got it in place still. Makes a huge headache, of course. Their on-time suffers, because there is NO fudging that system. If you're out of hours, you're OUT of hours, period. THen there is the lack of signal behind buildings etc... lots of work for not a lot of gain.

I'll bet, however that the safety weenies in washington will demand that other carriers go to it as well, with the latest noise I heard about drivers' hours of service this week.

That would explain why they are looking for drivers.
Every once in a while I look at a truck and think man I miss driving, Then my wife slaps me and I come to my senses :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bonkers:

Again, Good luck on the new adventure!!

...I was out and about today, in the industrial park chasing some bushings...

[size=+1]Were you at Graingers, in Austintown? If you were, you were only about a mile from my place.

BTW, I still have your jointer knives. Got 'em all sharpened up for you, but just haven't gotten down your way to return them.[/size]