Having to give up woodworking

Along with everyone else here, I am so very sorry for what you are going through. As it has been already mentioned, perhaps your skills can be used to help others, via a book, a blog, or Sketch-up. I know I need all the help I can get, and am probably not alone. Be well.

First of all I want to thank each and every one of you for your kind words. I only posted this so folks would not wonder why I am not posting any project pictures. I haven't sold the shop yet as I still want to persue medical options but so far it doesn't look all that promising. I tried working in protective clothing and found that I was not comfortable and feared for my safety, I didn't want to get sucked into a saw or something, so I have ruled that out. I don't know do they make spandex anti contamination suites...:eek:. Now that would be a scary site. any how I will hang out here if yall don't mind.

In retrospect If I don't get to continue this craft I can look back on my past with a great deal of satisfaction I have been able to create some things and leave behind somewhat of a legacy. I got to spend time with some great folks many who are here and even spent time with a master wood worker. I was able do something a lot only get to dream about so If I am not able to do any more at least I have the commission to look back on as my legacy.

one again Thanks for all the kind words.

Sad news indeed Don. Your decision seems well thought out, including not selling out yet. I hope you find a different solution that works for you. I hope you stay around here and contribute--anytime I see your name on a post I know I'm going to learn something worthwhile.

Sympathies. :(

I knew one guy when I was a kid who walked into his shop one day and went into anaphylactic shock, turned out he had developed a life threatening allergy to cedar overnight after having worked with it for years. Luckily he was able to get help and lived to tell about it.

Please stay safe; allergies like this are nothing to mess with!!

If I could do woodworking I'd personally probably switch to metal... I miss having a forge (and not having a place to have a forge...). Leather work is also interesting and you can do some really neat stuff there (I putter, but have several relatives who are world class artists in this craft which is a bit intimidating).

If you do go spandex (assuming it works), video or it never happened :eek:

Very tough break. Second person to experience this I have heard about in two days. The founder of my wood turning club who is a master, and professional, turner had to give it up due to a sudden onset of allergies also. He sold his tools and now does painting. I hope you are able to find some other creative outlet for your skills.

Yes that is bad news. Hope you can eventually come up with a medical solution. If I were in you shoes, I'd think seriously on what someone wrote earlier, and trade the woodworking tools towards some metal working tools, maybe restore an old car or build a hot rod.

What a bummer Don. I am at a loss for words. Hope some medical options comes your way.
I think if this happened to me i would try out metal working and machining or Don go back to electronics. But what ever you do stick around here we aint done picking those brains of yours and i for one would miss you terribly if you stay away. I still plan on getting down your way one day to visit and swap lies. :);)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

into anaphylactic shock
Over a period of a few years I was swarmed and stung three times. First wasps, then bumblebees, then yellow jackets. I'm not particularly allergic to much but with those experiences I got an increase in reactions. The effect can, and usually does, increase with exposure. As a result I get new epi-kits every couple years. I keep even the outdated ones. I used to use outdate ones when I had cattle and am confident they retain their effectivness. I keep them handy when I am in an area where I might be exposed to stings. I will now also be keeping one in my shop. Downside is not always having someone nearby to stick me. Can only hope, if it happens, I will keep conscious and have presence of mind long enough to stick myself.