Face veneer thickness-supplier-cost

larry merlau

Well i have looked for some thicker face veneered plywood at several suppliers and i cant seem to find any that isnt the very thin stuff, most of us have ran into..i have tried Columbia products , West Woods, to name few. all that i have seen are the very thin type.. so if someone has a source and could show me a picture of there thicker face veneer ply and the cost per sheet i would like to find some near me, if there is a distributor.. years ago i can remember the ply haveing much thicker face veneer and i have heard that if you pay for it its available but i cant find a source..i was with tom this wknd and we asked the number one source for wood in our area and they had no answers other than probably around a hundred dollars a sheet stuff but where he didnt know????? so if anyone can help us out i would appreciate it.. so show me a pic with a rule for comparison and the cost and supplier info... so the rest of us might be able to get some as well.. thanks to all that can help.

I'm not sure what you call thick veneer, but I get two options locally. One is import birch with about 13 ply that I wouldn't try sanding. The other is a domestic that has 5 thicker ply and 2 veeners. Last time I bought any of this was spring 2011, it was $65/sheet for B2.

This pic is the back of my router table, It was made with some maple ply.
IMG_2702.jpg
The veneer measures .020" thick now and it would have been sanded with 220 on a ROS when I built it.

I just got to ask but where is the problem with the thickness of the veneer on the face of the plywood sheets? We routinely sand the face of the ply with air powered ROS sanders with 150 or 180 grit paper and we don't experience sand thru. It's the same thickness whether it's domestic or imported plywood.

Alan, i had glue saturation from the factory affect me in the finish process, it may have been a fluke but its one i dont want again..i had sanded this panel with 150 and 180 after the assembly to get the normal scratches and rub marks off it, stained it and got blotches where the glue didnt allow the stain to color uniformly, used a racking light to look at it and sure enough one could pattern the blotches to the ridges of the glue strips used by the manufacture..i may have sanded it to much,, cant say as i have had this before but i can assure you i dont need it again:) i dont have pics of the trouble, just used some dye to shade it away the best i could.. but at first the sight of it i wasnt a cheerful fella:)