state fair clock entry

hi toni! as to the design, i looked over several different variations of torii, and then with those in mind, i jumped in and drew it up in sketchup. there were a couple of items that i changed, the size of the outer posts, due to the original size being too thin, and the addition of the end caps. then again, there was a design change that was, as bob ross would say, a happy accident. that was the accidentally cutting way short the two main supports. when i now look at it, the way it turned out looks better proportionally than the original idea. as for painting it red, i think it may have been a subconscious choice of cherry for this project, as over time it will turn a nice reddish brown.

today was the day for finishing, along with the chess board. the clock parts got a coat of seal coat, then sanded, and given the first coat of shellac.

Attachments

• all parts with seal coat.jpg
    all parts with seal coat.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 11
  • parts with first coat of shellac.jpg
    parts with first coat of shellac.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 9
well, the first of the state fair projects has been finished. i think it turned out pretty good. now we have to wait for the fair, and see what the judges have to say.

Attachments

• finished clock.jpg
    finished clock.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 19
What it really needs is the clock face in Japanese Kanji, that would really set it apart :D

But that is a small point, over all it is another very nice job!:thumb: