Anyone ever try this technique ?

I've turned a number of stabilized wood pens, but I'm not really sure how they might affect someone with sensitivity to wood. Might be worth getting a stabilized blank to play around with to see how your body reacts. :thumb:

I've never set up for pens but I do have the mandrel for bottle stoppers maybe I'll see if I can get some stabilized blanks for them and try a few.hmmmm Just a though cuzzz I have everything else (lathe, tools, band saw. grinder)

It ain't furniture and it won't be saw dust making but at least its wood working of sorts.

Interesting. Tibbetts does some pretty impressive, complicated stuff, but I've never seen this.

I wonder what it would take to soak the wood in resin or something else yourself? Might cut down on costs. Small amount of info here: http://www.ultrasealwoodstabiliser.com/

http://www.cuecomponents.com/dippingtank.html

"Note: We receive many requests from turners who want to stabilize their own woods much like the professional stabilizers who use the acrylics. We read where a wood turner used Resolute™ to successfully impregnate Buckeye Burl and some hardwoods. The turner stated, “Not quite as hard as an acrylic stabilizer but I like it. It produced a nice shine as I sanded up to 600 and applied a simple coat of beeswax and buffed in. I let it sit another hour rebuffed and applied 1 more coat of beeswax. I am very happy with this stabilizer as it penetrates all the way thru with ease on all the burls and hardwoods I tried. I will continue to use. By no means does it compare to commercial stabilization but it’s easy to work with and provides good results”.

http://www.cuecomponents.com/nelsonite.html

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Note: Our own Frank Fusco has been known to do a fair amount of stabilizing as well...

@ Don, Dang, skin contact would be harde to counter act. I know my dad had a really bad reaction one time when he was sanding something in his basement. Put him in the emergency room.

I really need to be more careful and remember to use my mask more often.

Don, corian is turned a lot too. Any countertop fabricators in the area. They should have lots of cutoffs for the taking. I can't remember who, but there is another member that does tons of stabilizing. Watermelon seeds, snake skin, pine cones the list goes on and on.

Don, I have no idea how stabilized wood will react with your allergies. It might be the answer, or not. But, if you send me your address I'll send you some stabilized pen blanks and, if I have some around, some suitable for bottle stoppers or whatever.

Tyvek suit, rubber gloves, total respiration and head covering. After you're done working, a romp through the lawn sprinklers for a rinse, strip and head for the shower.

Oughta be worth a few pix! :rofl: :rofl:

No! No! Not THAT picture! You don't want to get sizzled by the CoC cops.

I have a few dozen stabilized blanks and I also make them. Tank from Turntex.com and a vaccum compressor from an old refrigerator. I use Cactus Juice that Curtis sells and haven't had a problem yet. I wear gloves when messing with the stuff however.

I used to do industrial painting and had to deal with a lot of nasty chemicals, we would use a bunny suit and air hood and I was never affected by the chemicals. You might try this.

I used to do industrial painting and had to deal with a lot of nasty chemicals, we would use a bunny suit and air hood and I was never affected by the chemicals. You might try this.

Jim I have worn bunny suits in a previous life with a resperator, I just don't consider it a safe way to be doing wood working. If it were my lively hood it would be one thing but as a hobbiest well I just don't want to trade one hazard for another.

Don
I just wanted to say that as one who has a ton of skin allergies if I was allergic to wood I would start with pure acrylic blanks instead of stabilized wood. If that works without ill effects I might then try a stabilized wood product. Sometimes when you skin becomes sensitized it will react to most anything. I worked in the radiator building bushiness for a while after the Navy and got sensitized to the acid flux we used. Forty years later I have a real problem with many chemicals many of which are used in products that are supposed to help with skin irritations.

Other than that I also wanted to say something about you bad luck in developing this issue but after all these days all I can come up with is I am real sorry it happened to you.

Don,
I don't how much this might help, but Curtis Seebeck has a product that he calls cactus juice that stabilizes woods and also has plans and probably will sell a chamber to do a vacuum pull on woods... if you are into doing some of the stabilizing yourself, maybe this will help... I know right now I would hate not being able to work in my shop at my lathe... I haven't tried his stuff myself, but I've watched his videos and looked at his site... http://www.turntex.com

Don,
I don't how much this might help, but Curtis Seebeck has a product that he calls cactus juice that stabilizes woods and also has plans and probably will sell a chamber to do a vacuum pull on woods... if you are into doing some of the stabilizing yourself, maybe this will help... I know right now I would hate not being able to work in my shop at my lathe... I haven't tried his stuff myself, but I've watched his videos and looked at his site... http://www.turntex.com

If I had gone down a couple more threads, I would have seen you already know about Curtis and cactus juice.