Hunting Charcoal and Clay

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Sunday was the first Father's Day in over 20 years that I was able to actually be with my dad, so we took advantage of that fact. We spent the afternoon out on some BLM land about 30 miles from here where we could burn up some ammo without worrying about range rules. The targets of choice were charcoal briquettes and biodegradable clay pigeons, and we had a fun time shooting an assortment of weapons. Afterwards we went to a local BBQ joint and had a great lunch.

Dad's Day 2012 800.jpg

He recently turned 82, and the old guy can still school me with a revolver. ;)

vaughn the job loss wasnt a good thing but you got a great opportunity that was worth every minute of the bad time you had previously.. attah boy vaughn and glad you got this chance, and take as much time as you can get with him from now on..!!!!

One of my favorite things is getting together with my son and dad and test ammo, glad after 20 years the opportunity has one again come up for you:thumb:

Memories, you were making memories Vaughn. Just recently bought a Taurus 454 Casull. Great gun. What is your dad shooting in the picture?

That 454 Casull sure ain't no pocket pistol, huh? Congrats. :thumb:

I think in that picture he's shooting a S&W Model 686 .357 Magnum. He had a couple of different S&W .357s with him. He also brought along the Remington pump .22 LR rifle that was his grandmother's gun...the one he shot lots of squirrels with when he was a kid. To round out the handgun assortment, I brought Sig Sauer P226s in both 9mm and .40 cal, a S&W Model 19 .357 revolver, and a S&W M&P 40C. There was also a Remington 1100 Special Field in 20 gauge, and a Windham Weaponry AR-15 in the mix. Dad pretty much stuck with the revolvers and the .22 rifle. He's not a fan of semi-auto handguns, since they're too hard for him to rack the slide these days. He's an avid collector (and shooter) of S&W revolvers, though, and he's probably at the range at least twice a week. And pity the fool who tries to break into his house. ;)