OT Win XP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart Ablett

OK, I will swear this publicaly again.........

"My next computer system WILL NOT be a Windoze system, promise, cross my heart!!!!"

OK, now that I have that off my chest....... :bang:

So, I get the Win XP Pro trial download from MS, this is after running the "MS Upgrade Advisor" program, make that downloading and installing it, then running it.............:bang:

......... I get told that my computer passed with flying colors and is ready for XP :congrats:

OK, I down load the 580 Mb ISO, burn that to a disc, stick it in the drive of my machine and it says............................

"This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine" ..........:doh: :dunno: :huh:

Well poof me........what????

OK dig deeper, is seems that windoze in all thier wisdom :rofl: have decided that they will ONLY offer the FREE TRIAL version of Windoze XP Pro x64, and if you do not have a 64 bit chip in your machine, well, you can't use this software.............:huh:

OK.......... why did the "Upgrade Advisor" not advise me of this.........:dunno:

Bad words have been said, lots of them, most of the day......... :bang:

So I do some digging, and I find that if I install the SP2, I can run the XP Pro x64 on my x32 machine....... but I have to have XP installed to do so, I cannot run XP SP2 on Win 2K.......(where is the emocon for pulling your hair out, I'm tired of banging my head??).............So what exactly do I do now????????:dunno:

I guess I could download the trial version of XP home, but that does not support multi lingual mode, like English and Japanese (you know, like Mac OSX does at the flip of a virtual switch).

If there is any kind soul out there than can shed some light on this subject, I'd be rather greatful.

Richard Leshner had already helped me out a ton, thanks for that Richard! :thumb:

Add to that, I've been manning the L shop by myself from 10 AM to near on 11PM now, yep, just me, and I'm not had the best day..........

Freaking stupid computers.............. :rolleyes:

Not much help here. Actually no help. But I have found that Windows 2000 is virtually trouble free on my 3 computers. I only have XP (Tablet version) on my Tablet for work. It's what came with it and it works fine.

Just a suggestion, but if you can find a copy of W2K you might want to try it. I have no plans of changing to anything else until I have absolutely have too!! I just do not have problems with this OS! I dread the day it is finally so obsolete that I have to change to something else.

Yea, not much help but I tried. ;)

Jeff...............

Check this thread out.....

New Toy <-

I have Win 2K Pro multilingual on all of my machines, I've resisted the whole XP thing, but now, with the new camera, the software that transfers the video from the HD on the camera to the computer is ONLY for XP :bang:

:doh:

Stu, I'm sure you've already checked this, and it may be in the camera thread, but have you checked to see if there is a driver available for the camera to run on W2K?

Background - I have spent the last 10 years working in the group that supports the OS load for roughly 150K Windows desktops in a Fortune 5 company.

Having personally attempted to upgrade from W2K to WXP at least 8 times at home and watched innumerable attempts at work, my strong recommendation is that you back up all your personal material, do a complete wipe and clean load of WXP SP2 if you decide to move from W2K.

Also, I strongly suggest that you upgrade to WXP SP2 for numerous reasons. However the strongest are that W2K goes out of support in the not too distant future which means no more security upgrades. The second is that the security of XP against virus etc. really is significantly better than W2K albeit not great (which tells you where W2K really is :rofl: ). The third is that you will find more and more any periphreal you want to buy is not going to have a driver for W2K.

The one caution that I have is that if you do anything but the basic web/email stuff across the internet, you may want to shoot the firewall that comes with WXP SP2. I had to turn mine off at home and it's totally unused at work.

I'll second some of what Chip is saying. We're flushing ALL our W2K workstations. It's an OS whose time has passed. For now, XP pro is the way to go. One thing to try: get a bootable install disk. You may need to change your bios settings so that you can boot to it. Then install XP into a different directory from the default. This will essentially give you a dual boot machine. I *do* run the XP firewall (gave up on zonealarm).

If your machine is pretty robust, you might want to think about virtualization. For example, I'm running Parallels on this machine right now, inside XP. Inside parallels, I've got a full install of Linux (fedora) running. By the way, there's no such thing as a Mac anymore... there's just a mac interface overlay... underneath, they're running a watered down version of Linux. In any case, if you want to go virtual, you need a fairly recent system, so that might not work well on an older machine. But since you're hacking in your shop all the time, you may as well hack your machine as well... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Virus? What's a virus? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stu, stop pulling your hair out. You just don't have to do that anymore!!!! Pick up the Mini Mac for $600 if the smaller machine will do for you. I would be willing to bet that you will be satisfied enough to get a larger Mac before 6 months is up. :type:

Back-up all your files onto an external drive. The Mac will read a PC hard drive if you use a FAT format. You can get programs for the Mac that will allow you to read/convert PC files to Mac usable files. The saying goes, "if you think you should be able to do it, On a Mac, you can." I sure have found that to be true.
My brother bought my big PC last month and I don't have a PC in my whole house! :crash:

I haven't had a computer crash or lost data in over 4 years. I have virus protection on here but it has nothing to do. There just isn't any use in writing a virus for the Mac. It can't get where it wants to go. If one does automatically download, it pops up on the desk top with a red face. Uh.... :eek: you weren't suppose to see me. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Just delete it. hehehehehe

DT

Stu,

I'm a Mac guy, but...don't buy a new Mac yet! The new OS X, Leopoard will be coming out soon...and there are likely uprades to the mini...

I have an Intel powered iMac, and also run Windows XP Home via a program called Parallels. With an Intel Mac, you can run both. You need at least a 1Gb RAM, and more video horsepower than that in the current mini.

Get a cheap copy of XP and get your camera problem solved. After a month or so, when Leopard and any other new Apple products are released, get your Mac then.

This is just a minor annoyance compared to Stu's problem but does anybody know if there's a way in XP to disable the feature that lumps multiple instances of a program (5 instances of Explorer for example) under a single Group taskbar button?? I'd much rather have 5 separate taskbar buttons showing up.

Howzabout and un-solicited opinion?

Dump the basura and go linux- at least until you get a mac with the new OS version Greg mentioned :D
You have a wide selection of versions, multi-lingual shouldn't be hard, download investment is usually just your time. Best yet, it's generally written and supported by people who care if it works well rather than about getting another $100 out of your wallet.

You may still have problems, but they will be logical problems, and you won't have to chase down six different conflicting CP windows to make sure that the change you just made isn't being overridden by the setting on whatever screen you haven't found yet. Could be it doesn't work with your video camera, but you can always download and burn a live CD and find out, or poke around the many forums and see if anyone has got it supported yet.

The one disclaimer- I really know almost nothing about this! Certainly nowhere near what others around here know about OS's in general (yet I still find my two linux systems much less frustrating to work with than the one XP I keep around for Jean).

John

(no help here, just sub-version :D :D :D :D )

John,

The problem is he is trying to get his new camera software to work...and it's either XP or OS X. Linux is cool, but in this case it won't do him any good, I believe.

When he gets his new Intel powered Mac, he can use Parallels (VM software) to run both Windows or Linux...in parallel with OS X. I'm running XP and Ubuntu Linux on my 2Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac.

I've no doubt you're right Greg, I just had to get a plug in there though :D

If I was actually going to pay for software (the obligatory pre-installed MS excepted), I'd be all over OS-X. But I'm usually running 5 year old machines that people have given me, and am waaaay to cheep to pay for OS upgrades to a basically worthless box :D

John

Still kind of nice to have a live CD around when running windows. Can always use it to boot and get online to find info about fixing whatever problem is crashing XP :rofl:

Well guys, I'm still getting no satisfaction here :(

Thanks for the link Greg, the program installed, but it will only look for the camera on a COM port, and it is USB, so I think I'm out of luck.

Back to the drawing board....... :bang:

Stupid computers :(

Maybe some Port Configuring Guru will come along and fix things....

With that in mind, and to set the record straight...

1. What version of Windows are you running now?

2. What is the name of the software you are trying to use?

We'll get you there...I can believe JVC would limit the software to a very narrow user base... There has to be a way! :thumb:

Stu, this may be a dumb question, but are you certain you even need the software that came with the camera? In my case (WinXP Pro and a Panasonic digicam), I never did install the Panasonic software. I use Premiere Elements for video editing, and it was able to see my camera on its own. If you have a third-party video editing tool, perhaps you don't need the one that came with the camera. :dunno:

Windoze 2000 Pro

My Ulead video editing soft does not see the camera, the software for editing video etc loaded onto my machine, and I could even install it in English, the problem is the driver for the USB to make the camera just another HD on the computer.

The thing is the computer does not even see the camera plugged in, it does not show up in the system>hardware>device manager

I'm hoping to get a copy of XP Pro x32 soon, and I'll install that on one machine, the one that I recently had to dump XP Japanese Home from as it would not boot anymore....:doh:

Wanna bet that JVC-Victor don't give a hoot?

Maybe when then camera comes out in the US, but I doubt it.

Oh, they have a driver for Win 95/98 that you can download from their site, we tried that, but it too would not install to Win 2K.

When I try it install the driver and such for the camera, from the disk supplied this is what happens...............

windoze_xp.jpg

So it looks like I will be upgrading one machine to XP, and let me tell you, it will only be ONE stinking machine, just something to pull the video off the stupid camera, then I'll be in business.

Thanks for all the help guys

Last edited: