Time For a New Computer Desk

Dave Richards

It's time for a new computer desk for me. I've been getting along with a little flat pack thing for the last 15 years. Here's the latest iteration.

7413783844_69e7ef19db_c.jpg

The Cintiq is already on a mount by Ergotron that allows it to be swung out and dropped down into my lap. With this desk there'd also be room for my MacBook Pro. I'm thinking about a neat little KVM extender from Black Box that would allow me to put the computer elsewhere and connect via CAT5. Only problem is, I don't think it will handle two video displays. I'd have to use a second video over CAT5 unit for the Cintiq.

Very industrial, but I like the cubby holes to keep the stuff off the top of the desk.

I've been sitting at a messy unorganized desk for years, and I'd really like to get something else as well.

The only difference is I'd like to get one with a mechanized height adjustment. Just can't figure out if I want to spend $1000 for an already engineered and working mechanism, or try and DIY.

Great idea, Dave. I have been thinking the same thing for a while. While at the San Diego COunty Fair and the Design in Wood Show last week, I saw a couple of really great desks, the design of which tickled my fancy. Gotta do some doodling as well. Meanwhile back at the ranch with the secondhand thing I picked up at the thrift shop, I am thinking about cutting a little off the legs. The height is wrong for me and I would like to work this issue out before I design and build something. Not interested in making it adjustable. Too much trouble, for once it is right, it would never change. Gonna try and get it right from the gitgo. How did you determine your height and what is a Ergotron?

Thanks Brent and Carol.

Brent, what sort of height change are you thinking about?

Ergotron is a company that makes mounting hardware for computer monitors and flat TVs. I'm using one of their mounts for the Cintiq (on the left) because it allows me to have the monitor up in a vertical position as well as pull it down in my lap for drawing and retouching images and stuff. The mount also allows the display to swivel so I can turn it as I would a pad of paper when drawing on it.

The height was drawn at standard desk height--29"--but I would play with that before building.

@Brent - look at linear actuators. You'd only need one at around a hundred bucks. Run it off a wallwart. Use Accuride drawer slides to guide the vertical movement. A number of years ago I designed and built an adjustable pulpit for wheelchair bound people. It had vertical, horizontal, and angular adjustment. Three actuators, two sets of slides and one pair of very good hinges [no play]. Red oak with paduak trim to match the built in pipe organ in the chapel in which it was to be used. There is a pretty good supplier in WA state. I can dig up a link if you are interested. You could go from slouching to standing at the same desk. How kewel is that?

hey dave i can hook you up with a guy that is pretty good at using sketchup and he could get rid of all your jaggy lines from your present design for you and he is a real nice guy to chat with as well.. he might even be able to teach you something, he did me and i know i am old:)

Brent, what sort of height change are you thinking about?

Ergotron is a company that makes mounting hardware for computer monitors and flat TVs. I'm using one of their mounts for the Cintiq (on the left) because it allows me to have the monitor up in a vertical position as well as pull it down in my lap for drawing and retouching images and stuff. The mount also allows the display to swivel so I can turn it as I would a pad of paper when drawing on it.

@Brent - look at linear actuators. You'd only need one at around a hundred bucks. Run it off a wallwart. Use Accuride drawer slides to guide the vertical movement. A number of years ago I designed and built an adjustable pulpit for wheelchair bound people. It had vertical, horizontal, and angular adjustment. Three actuators, two sets of slides and one pair of very good hinges [no play]. Red oak with paduak trim to match the built in pipe organ in the chapel in which it was to be used. There is a pretty good supplier in WA state. I can dig up a link if you are interested. You could go from slouching to standing at the same desk. How kewel is that?

Still toying with the idea of a stand up desk. I've been looking at a number of mechanisms that could do the raising, but they generally want a pretty penny. I figure I'd just get the mechanism anyway and build my 'ideal' desk around that.

Carol, that sounds exactly like what I'd be looking for. I'd like the option of either standing or sitting, so that's pretty much a similar application.

I made a stand for my current desk to give it a shot. Had to trim it down a bit and am just waiting for the finish to cure before I try it tomorrow.

Nice-looking design, Dave. For me, the cubby holes would become dust and dog hair bins, but I do like the idea of having lots of shallow storage space.

hey dave i can hook you up with a guy that is pretty good at using sketchup and he could get rid of all your jaggy lines from your present design for you and he is a real nice guy to chat with as well.. he might even be able to teach you something, he did me and i know i am old:)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Larry, I might take you up on that. thanks for looking out for me. ;)Brent, wouldn't a stool be easier? Make the desk tall and sit on a stool when you don't want to stand. You could do a frame similar to mine, in wood if you'd rather, with a stretcher to use as a foot rest. Remember that split top drafting table I did? the fellow who wanted it originally wanted the height to be adjustable. After talking about it we decided it would really only get used at either the low position or the high one but not in between and then, most likely it wouldn't get changed often. Instead of a complex Rube Goldberg mechanism, I ended up drawing two sets of legs. There's a stretcher that, in the high position is out front to be used as a foot rest but in the lowered positon, the stretcher is shifted back so you don't bang your shins.Vaughn, there won't be room in the cubbies for dust and dog hair, which, although we haven't had a dog in 4 or 5 years, we somehow still have plenty of. :huh:

so dave, when are you going to come out to the east coast to one of these woodworking coops in brooklyn, like makeville studio, or 3rd ward and teach a few classes?(I m guessing they get some kind of draw if they have woodworking shows there that get a decent seletion of vendors)
If you can get enough students youd be able to enjoy a small vacation in the big apple and make some pocket change besides.
You can count me in if you ever come to this side of the country.

Thanks Allan. I'd love to do that sort of thing. A couple of weeks ago I did a SketchUp talk and demo at a similar joint up in the twin cities. It was a good time. If someone set it up and we could schedule a time and get enough people to commit, I would do it. We tried it a couple of years ago in Port Townsend but didn't get enough people signed up to cover the expenses. I'd love to do a class in Maine somewhere close to the coast.

If I was still going to brooklyn to makeville, Id talk to them, but I havent been there in ages.
Im not a member of the LIwoodworkers either, but like I said, you got somewhere out here close to NY, Id love to attend.

I remember for the turning class I took at makeville, I paid like 100 or 125 bucks, and it was basically just a safety and beginners thing.

Brent, wouldn't a stool be easier? Make the desk tall and sit on a stool when you don't want to stand. You could do a frame similar to mine, in wood if you'd rather, with a stretcher to use as a foot rest. Remember that split top drafting table I did? the fellow who wanted it originally wanted the height to be adjustable.

Hmmm, That actually makes a lot of sense, and follows the k.i.s.s. principle, which means less chance for something to go wrong...

I too am overdue for a decent desk in my home office. Why is it we always take care of ourselves last (except for tools, of course)? I moved from a usable particle board junker to a cool-looking but completely useless rolltop desk. I'm trapped between wanting to slap something functional together and making something a little more decent. I'm trying to get out of my seemingly endless college-dorm furniture world.

Glenn, it always seems to be that way, doesn't it?

Here's one I designed awhile back. I was going to build it for myself but it would take more time than the one with the pipe base and I don't have a lot of that floating around. I like simple, open designs for desks. I've had a lot of comments from people about needing more drawers but I'd prefer to not have them. I have a drawer in the desk I have been using but I don't keep anything in it that I need.

5354923458_b9c87cbca1_z.jpg

1- do the rear legs extend all the way up to the upper shelf, or is that a separate set of pips? If separate, are you worried about that? There are only two points of contact and I wonder if it would bend/fracture easily

2- you like things open, and you're working with pipe for the structure... Can you feed the power+video cables through the pipes? It looks like you have the central monitor mounted on the horizontal pipe. I'm just wondering how far you can go to hiding ALL the cables.

Looking good.
...art

Art, the rear legs and upper vertical pipes are separate. There are pipe flanges top and bottom. They would be through bolted which would tie them together. As to hiding cables, they would go inside a pipe that I didn't draw in, yet. It would go straight down below the monitor through a hole in the desktop. If the computer ends up under the desk I'll just tie the cables to the nearby rear leg. Maybe someone could come up with a wireless monitor.

Well Dave I aint fond of your new desk sorry to say:(. Reminds me way to much of a lab bench from back in the day in R&D. You just missing the 4 ft fluorescent tubes overhead.:D

With what i have seen you draw and design why the resorting to industrial pipe?

When you say new computer desk i am thinking like a set up the stock broker boys have and ergonomically curved etc. Something more along these lines

http://www.ergonomichome.com/bacodee.html

Put a little curve in it and soften the harshness of the lines. :D Only funning you so dont take me serious.

I am still struggling with IKEA stuff i bought when i first set up my office after arriving in Canada. 4 pieces of tube and some thin veneered particle board. :(