Trip Info Needed

Jim Young

Since many of my e-friends have moved to this site I will also post this here.

I previously asked for some trip information a while back in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43443&highlight=trip

Now I have plotted out the sights which my Dad and I are most interested in. The heavy majority of the places are found in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nevada with lots of open holes in the mid west. Now I'm thinking that maybe we should fly into Vegas and rent a car from there. This would open up the schedule and we could hit Washington and Oregon, also some of my favorite states. Did a search last night for rentals and came across a good deal on a PT Cruiser convertible. The idea of a convertible sounds fun but I was wondering if that would be a bad idea since we will be travelling in historically hot states during July. Just looking for others' opinions on what they think about the convertible. Is it silly to be driving around getting a head burn?

Jim, unless you are going to be going through AZ and NM at about 100 mph in the middle of the night, you do NOT want a convertible around here in July. It gets hot---I have to go to Vegas at the end of July for AWFS and it will be 110 in the shade there--and not much shade. The convertible will be nice for Washington and Oregon and Northern California at that time of year, but not around Vegas, AZ and NM.

Nancy

Nancy's right, it does get hot, but on the other hand, convertibles have air conditioning, so with the top up it should be bearable. ;)

Jim,

All those states have mountains. I flew into Denver last year, and tried to rent a little four cylinder car to drive over the mountains to the conference I was attending. I was strongly discouraged, and pointed towards a nice 6-cyl murano. Believe me, I was very happy I allowed myself to be redirected. Even though it was all interstates, the extra power came in pretty handy, especially on mountain grades in thunderstorms... ;)

Just a thought,

Thanks,

Bill