Anyone For Mid-Century Modern

Dave Richards

This is my morning SketchUp exercise. Gotta keep practicing. Larry, you promised to hook me up with a guy...

Looks like a good candidate for loose tenon joinery.

Last edited:
I like this design, Dave. Has a sort of Danish feel to me, without being Danish Danish.

i think you found the eraser tool and cleaned this drawing up better dave maybe you wont need my guy:)

Whaddaya mean? He already erased so much you can see right through the table top! :p

well one thing for sure dave, i am sure you always agree with him:) he sees things just like you do:)

oh and i also like this idea of a table,, the holes go along with the rest of the parts..

I like it. Interesting. I need to design an entertainment center and it's just a bit too wide for 2 doors, and too narrow for 3, but 2 doors and some drawers might be very interesting.

Thanks Brent. I've got a different base idea to try out under the case.

Art, I guess that early 70s thing is kind of the idea. Or maybe even going back to the late 50s and the 60s.

I found a place that does the hairpin steel legs that were popular back then. They want a pretty penny for them, too.

The cabinet I based my doodle on has them that way but the left one could certainly be turned around. They are hinged slab doors.

Here's a different base and some metal pulls I zipped out.

Yep, these styles ring true to the "American Modern" stuff that my parents had when I was born. Just shy of the Jetson's. That sleek, sharp angled style. Lots of maple, maple, maple, light brown maple in my memory banks. :thumb:

The metal pulls suit the style.
The alternate base screams "coffee table" at me, so I much prefer the angled base. :thumb:

However, looking at the alternate base did make me wonder if the angled base should have some stretchers connecting them?