OSHA requirement drill press guard?

My drill press was made in this century, too, and doesn't have a guard.

Roger, you're right so was mine, but the company's that make the machines we purchase are not required by law to supply guards of any kind on their machines. I believe you wouldn't buy a planer without a knife guard or a table saw without at least a guard of some kind so they supply them because no one would buy them without. The drill press is one that the guard is required by law in manufacturing to have the guard but companies don't supply it and we still buy it. I agree it is senseless with it on there. I find it "in the way" when being used. However this press is only for drilling one hole in a 12" x 12" countertop color matched piece so it can be hung in the sink cabinet when we install. It doesn't have any other purpose. So this set up works, meets OSHA requirement, and gave us something to talk about here. :)

[
On a side note the inspector did say that machine manufactures are not required to meet the standards of guarding when they manufacture equipment. They do so voluntary because people purchasing the equipment wouldn't buy it if they didn't have some or most of it on there. We as consumers believe they should but they don't have to. I though that rather strange that if we were required to have guarding in line with OSHA then we ought to be able to purchase equipment up to those standards. Maybe that doesn't mean anything to some of you but I find it rather interesting. That's my two cents.[/QUOTE]

How ironic , no requirement to comply with guarding , yet the lawyers want to require us all to have a sawstop on our unguarded saws!

Never saw that but that is funny. I see the point. There was a song out years ago about Noah building the ark in todays time. It is called "The Flood of 1997". In it the song stated that he didn't have the ark built when God came back and gave the excusses that caused it in todays time. In the end God didn't distroy the earth the goverement did it already. Kind of one of those songs that make you say ya right.

Gads. I had forgotten that song along with the OSHA cowboy.
What a wonderful and nutty world we live in.

Enjoy,

JimB

How ironic , no requirement to comply with guarding , yet the lawyers want to require us all to have a sawstop on our unguarded saws!

To be fair to the all lawyers out there, it's not "the lawyers" who want to make Sawstop technology mandatory. It's one guy, and he's the inventor of the technology...who also happens to be a lawyer.