Interesting box from Morocco

I'm just back from a bussines trip to Casablanca (Morocco) where I had the chance of visiting the Medina ( sort of open air market) and I bought this box that I believe could be of interest to some of you.
The wood is either cedar or Tuya wood, with some burl as well, I asked several people and each of them was telling me a different wood kind so I leave it to those who are experienced than me in identifying wood.

Craftmanship is rather crude,but for 18$ it makes a nice present. The top gap is excessive and the sanding of not exposed areas is deficient for our standards but it sells well.

box01.jpgbox05.jpg
The box is opened by rotating the lid clockwise, and the small drawers or compartments pop outside. To close it turn the lid counterclockwise.
I have a video but I can't figure out how to upload it without having an URL. Maybe any of you can help me with that.

box03.jpgbox02.jpgbox08.jpg

The trick is achieved by a pin on the base that runs on a slot on each compartment. The pin is aligned with the end or hinge of the cross shaped central divider.
I hope I have explained it well. I can see this idea applied to many projects from boxes to folding tables and more. It is up to you.

Thanks for showing this, Toni. Very interesting. You are right about the construction and finish being somewhat crude (something I am known for).
Mohammad, having seen your work and held it in my hands, I think that your knowledge of english lacks positive vocabulary if I may say so.;) ( no offence intended)

@Jim, I disagree with its use. I think in a part of the world where one would put various spices and salt in little containers and put them on a table and people take a pinch and sprinkle on their food it would have a lot of use. Its not our version of hygene but it could work that way.:) At least thats how i see it.:D;)

Nice box Toni and price was right for the quick buy.

Whats the fruit you looking to pack in that part of the world ? Oranges???

@Jim, I disagree with its use. I think in a part of the world where one would put various spices and salt in little containers and put them on a table and people take a pinch and sprinkle on their food it would have a lot of use. Its not our version of hygene but it could work that way.:) At least thats how i see it.:D;)

Whats the fruit you looking to pack in that part of the world ? Oranges???

Not quite Rob, its use is more intended towards being used as a jewelry box where you put your rings on one compartment, earrings on another and so forth. Your guess was too much on the exotic side ;).

As per the fruits that they pack or produce are mainly, melons, water melons, dates, and oranges.