Do you use your dust collector?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
I've got one. I've even made a trash can lid seperator dealy bob to make it a 2 stage whatever you call it.

But I have to admit, Since it hasn't been plumbed in, I never really use it for anything other than when I use my planer.

I know I should use it when I use the table saw or cut off saw, but moving the hose is too big of a pain.

But no more.

Today I bought some 4" drain pipe and through some creative use of flex hose fittings, hot glue, some newly purchased blast gates, and the aforementioned flex hose, I cobbled together a psuedo plumbed dust collector system.

I know, no pics, didn't happen. The shop is still an unorganized mess, but at least now when I use the table saw I have half a chance of using the DC...

I plumbed a connection to the old radial arm saw, the table saw, and one free hanging hose I can use to connect to the planer, bandsaw, drum sander, whatever I happen to need. Those latter tools are ones that have to be moved into position to use, so they don't need a dedicated connection.

Now If I can just get the electricition out to upgrade the house panel and run me a sub panel, I'll be all set.

FWW-4428.jpgFWW-4426.jpgFWW-4425.jpgFWW-4424.jpgFWW-4423.jpg

I only have my TS hooked up to the dc now. I have another line with one of those 3 feet to 20 feet expandable hoses that I stretch to any machine Im using, and I use it every time.
I hooked a seperate shop vac to my mitre saw with one of those power switches that turns the vacuum on whenever I press the button to start the saw.
My dust collection is far from perfect, but its far better than none at all, and I recommend you use whatever you have, whenever you work.

My only DC plumbing is a 20' piece of flex hose, and I have a quick-connect fitting on the end of it, so it's easy to move from machine to machine. I'm pretty consistent about using the DC for everything, although for a quick crosscut on the table saw or band saw I often wont use it unless it's already hooked up to the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You all know my story :rolleyes:. I took one on the chin and have been all plumbed in and a religious user of my DC's ever since. When it comes to dust collection and your health, some is better than none but, "close enough" is not really close enough. Take it seriously, or it will seriously take you (wow, can I patent that one-liner? :D). Great job Brent. The rest of you; I cannot urge you enough; do whatever you have to to work safely :thumb:.

I try to use it all the time but quite often don't turn it on for one or 2 cuts. Mine isn't piped I just have a bunch of flex hose laying around or hanging from the ceiling and have to connect the planer and jointer each time I use them. It's a pain in the butt but I found some quick connect flange type fittings at Rockler and they make it real easy to connect and disconnect. I also found a remote switch at Walmart and hang it in the middle of the shop. That works great.

I know I should be more concerned about dust but the main reason I use the DC is to keep the mess down. Since my shop is in the basement and is pretty jammed up with tools and benches cleaning up after I use a tool is pretty important. Tracking dust and chips upstairs does not make for a happy wife.:eek:

another vote for 80 % of the time, as others mentioned for q quick cut on the bandsaw i will probally leave it off, or RAS , but sanding its on always..and i need to get the connection made for the larger setup. need to use it again on monday but have othere things that have came in frnt of it.. in my experiences i can get sinus trouble from the RAS. Tsaw, Chop saw if i am doing alot of it at one time.. so if you have one use it, and more than i do!!!

I've got a couple of dust collectors in my shop. Someday I will get one of those big honken ones with piping run on the ceiling and then dropped down to each machine. :thumb:
Right now my planer and chop saw are connected to one and the jointer and tablesaw to the other. (with blast gates)
My band saw can be connected quickly by stealing the hose to the jointer.
My dust collectors are used 100% of the time.
What really helps are the remotes I have to turn each one off and on. No excuse not to use them on when the remote is 12" from the blade.....

My big problem is that for just "one or two" cuts, I wouldn't bother to move the hose around. After quite a few iterations of 1 or 2 cuts, the bottom of my table saw would be a foot deep in saw dust.I think this is really going to be a big help.

In fact, I've reduced the amount of flex pipe used for any single run. It's purely anectdotal, but my 'feeling' is that I've got better pull now with the rigid ducting. Can't prove it until I use it, but it just seems that way.

I did put my only section of clear ducting on the drop down into the chip seperator. That way I should be able to tell when the trash can is overfilled, as well as to be able to keep an eye on if there are chips moving through the system.

I just recently rearranged my shop and replumbed the DC....it's now hooked to the TS, jointer, and BS, and has a spare outlet for the sander, planer, and router. I prefer to have everything permanently plumbed for the reasons you stated, but my shop is just too small for everything to have a permanent location.

My big problem is that for just "one or two" cuts, I wouldn't bother to move the hose around. After quite a few iterations of 1 or 2 cuts, the bottom of my table saw would be a foot deep in saw dust.I think this is really going to be a big help.

In fact, I've reduced the amount of flex pipe used for any single run. It's purely anectdotal, but my 'feeling' is that I've got better pull now with the rigid ducting. Can't prove it until I use it, but it just seems that way.

I did put my only section of clear ducting on the drop down into the chip seperator. That way I should be able to tell when the trash can is overfilled, as well as to be able to keep an eye on if there are chips moving through the system.

Guilty on the two cuts problem.. Its worse when 2 cuts actually becomes 4 or 8 or 16 (cause each time it was only.. 2 cuts).

The flex is generally spec'd as having ~3x the loss of rigid, so that can really add up and should work better. I've thought more than once that my 10' of flex is 30' of rigid and that pretty much covers a most of my shop but so far the ability to move tool locations around has outweighed the fixed pipe advantage.... Once I finish cleaning up though... heheh

I estimate I use my DC at least 95% of the time. Mine is fully plumbed on all stationary tools and I have two 4" flex hoses to use on mobile tools. I don't turn it on if I'm just making a quick cut or two on my miter saw or bandsaw; the junk will get sucked up the next time I turn on the DC. I really need to set up a good shop vac under a bench to attach to my ROS, plate joiner, etc., but for now I just sweep up the chips and dust.

Here's my setup IMAG0402.jpg and I'm am also guilty of the one or two cuts. Since I got a remote start for the DC I have been better about using it though.

I need to get a better filter. The bag on top isn't the best.

Nice, should work well! I used to have one, but only a 1hp and I sold it with my planer to buy my welder. I had a hard time that one as the hose was a pain to connect between things. But a dust collector is on my short list for the shop, probably should have put the money I spent for the AC towards it. I think one will probably be in birthday wrapping for me this month though. ;)

I do use my 20 gal shop vac with most of my smaller tools, especially the sander and band saw.

I run it all the time with flex hose to TS, BS, planer, jointer, OSS, and ShopSmith (drill press, disc sander and lathe). I don't mind moving the hose because I'm usually moving a machine to get where I want/need to be. Like John said, the remote starter makes it much easier to use.

I run mine on all the tools permanently hooked up. BS, TS, planer, jointer, drill press, and sander. I need a table saw blade guard dust collector of some type, and to hook up the router, miter saw, and lathe still. Also need to do some Bradley type modification to my bandsaw collection ports. I definitely run it a lot more with the central unit than I did when I had a single hose to move around.

I use my DC. A dust collector was my FIRST shop purchase. If my DC were to stop, I would stop until I had a new one. I can't say all of the strong words I would like to say; Use the DC. You are not frittering away some money, you are frittering away your health and your longevity. Use the DC!!!!

JimB

Jim C Bradley said:
I use my DC. A dust collector was my FIRST shop purchase. If my DC were to stop, I would stop until I had a new one. I can't say all of the strong words I would like to say; Use the DC. You are not frittering away some money, you are frittering away your health and your longevity. Use the DC!!!!

JimB

What Jim said :)