We got hammered

My son Jake was cough out in it and was coming home through the neighborhood and saw a tree coming at him and swerved and the tree landed in the bed of his pick up. Beat the side up a bit. Scared the chit out of him.

He acted all tough like he had anything to do with it lol, he did learn how to drive from the old man and so far is the only boy out of the 3 to have avoided and accident. I very comfortable with him taking on responsibilities which means doing things he has not done before.

what happened dave???

Larry,

Doorlink's mother asked the same thing. A score of people dead, tree million with no power, in the middle of a record heat wave, the capitol brought to a standstill, and she said "Oh, did something happen, Dear? I hadn't heard!" ;)

Long story short, a line of thunderstorms developed in Iowa, grew in strength as they crossed Illinois, and was a full fledged weather event by the time they hit Indiana. Hurricane force winds along a two hundred mile wide line, they rolled over Ohio and West Virginia, and gathered force as they came over the mountains, heading straight for Baltimore, DC, and Virginia. Biggest non-hurricane weather event ever to hit the Atlantic coast. It was incredible going through: lightning, winds, the huge sycamore in our back yard exploded. The sky, lit by constant lightning, turned that strange shade of dark green I've only previously seen in tornadoes.

Days later, most are still without power. It's hard to drive, since many traffic lights are still out. Cell phone service is spotty at best, since so many towers are down. It's tough finding open stores and gas stations. Just finding an auto parts store was an adventure today...

It reminds me most of being in a southern city, after a major hurricane went through...

Thanks,

Bill

I live in central WV and we have been without power and phone service since that storm passed through. Have to drive 100 miles to get gas, then wait in line for two hours. There isn't any stores or gas stations working in the county I live in. Some stores will let you in with flashlights and pay cash for what you get. Don't have any idea when power and phone service will be restored, they haven't even been out this way looking at the damage, I'm guessing it will be weeks. My generator won't run an AC or my shop tools. Hot and bored.

Slideshow with a small sample of the damage here.

well Bill, i hadnt had the tv on all last week to see any news, and dont listen to the radio either and dont get a newspaper so my reason for asking was legit, i had no idea.. sorry to see the destruction you and others have got to deal with.. i am aware of the damage that can occur from what they call straight winds.. several years back i lost 5 trees and and one vehicle and suffered major damage to my home.. so i am not trying to over look your inconvenience... hope all gets back to normal soon..one thing is for sure, the capital city area will make sure things get cleaned back up quickly.

20120702_145959.jpg

Here it is, it was a massive Sycamore tree that brought the pole down and blew the tran's, we had gusts of up to 80 mph winds. Got power back yesterday afternoon and I had a cook out for the neighbors and used up the meat that had thawed. There are still over 450K with out power in our county. And yet the state still plants trees under the power lines.

Last edited:
Help is on the way! Ontario is sending 200 expert power line technicians to help in your area. Hope things are resolved for you soon. Good thing this isn't winter, eh?

Was out on I-76 and I-80 yesterday, and saw half a dozen 'convoys' of electric company trucks and equipment headed East. Looks like help is coming in from all directions.