Master Bath Remodel

spacers sure are nice huh darren:) that is one wild looking shower curtain:) i think her halloween spirit is a year round thing:)

Yup, worked out pretty nicely. She's not afraid of color or wild patterns that is for sure. Has sometimes come up with some combinations I'm not sure about, but end the end everything comes together. Her describing design to me is like me describing mechanical construction to her. We each look at one another with our heads tilted sideways, but have learned to trust one another.

Well, after about a hour detour of trying to find my mixing paddle, I got the tile set this morning. Ended up moving one end of my layout line to the left about 1/4", which got everything squared up to the rest of the room. Should be dry by morning, but will stay off and use the downstairs bath. Will hopefully grout tomorrow night. Later tonight I'm going to assemble the new toilet so it will be ready to install after the grout dries.

After getting the tile down I headed up to the shop to get sealer put on all the drawers. Ended up using some benches and the extension ladder for a makeshift finishing bench.
2013-02-10 17.59.52.jpg

Brent asked about the drawer construction, here are some pics.
2013-02-10 18.00.29.jpg2013-02-10 18.00.40.jpg

Yeah, I find that any kind of DIY work that requires getting downon my knees, well, it takes a little while to recover. You are doing a great job though...

I got the grout done earlier tonight and given the size of the grout lines vs. tile. I was able to tip-toe around and also get the toilet installed. The toilet is a dual flush model, not sure I'm liking it yet but will see how it does over the next week, will hold on to the packaging until then. I did a pretty thorough check online for reviews and it seemed to be a pretty good toilet. The flush seems backwards from what the instructions say though.

2013-02-11 22.37.24.jpg

Still have some trim work to do, installing the linen closet drawers tomorrow, waiting on glides for the vanity drawers, and finally need a warm day to cut out the door and drawer front and get them glued up.

Last edited:
Yeah, I find that any kind of DIY work that requires getting downon my knees, well, it takes a little while to recover. You are doing a great job though...

Boy i can sure agree with on this Brent. I would be having the mix of cocktail before doing the job to make it bearable. :) Last time i had a go at this kind of work was at the old house where i put a whole load of heavy concrete pavers down in the front to add curb appeal just before selling. Ended up buying two sets of those knee pads. :)

You have done a fantastic job Darren. :thumb:

Tile job looks great, though it's like salt in my wounds...did ours last year and should of added an extender for the drain/throne joint...tightened 'er down and cracked two of the front tiles...been to lazy to tear back into{a one bath house fwiw}, but this inspires me....somewhat :rofl:...got the tiles, just need to pickup some grout & 'git er dun' :thumb:

Foul ball!!!! :doh:

So I went to install the drawers in the linen closet and vanity today. Every one of them was built 1/2" too wide. Looks like I didn't take the rabbet widths into account on the end, which are 1/4" each. Looks like I'll be cutting down lots of drawers tomorrow after I get back home. :rolleyes:

well darren i have done it as well, and the last time i sawed off the edge and saved it in the shop office area to remind me of it, wrote me a note on it to measure hole before gluing drawer up.. on to the tile work,, i know i am late on this question but in the built in alcove areas, did you allow for drainage at all? slope slightly or have a drain slot or hole to allow the water to run away?

well darren i have done it as well, and the last time i sawed off the edge and saved it in the shop office area to remind me of it, wrote me a note on it to measure hole before gluing drawer up.. on to the tile work,, i know i am late on this question but in the built in alcove areas, did you allow for drainage at all? slope slightly or have a drain slot or hole to allow the water to run away?

Yes, the silestone slabs are pitched a little to help with run-off, about 1/8" to 3/16" lower on the front of the small pieces, about 1/4" lower on the large one. The large one hardly ever gets any water on it, have had a cardboard box up there for a month (temporarily :) ) and it's still dry as the day I put it there. Also, when I grouted, I didn't grout any of the corners/edges, all of those were filled with the flexible caulk that matches the grout color.