Just a reminder to be careful with fire this year.

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Have a little excitement here at the ranch tonight. Apparently a fire started right by the highway around 6:30. Right now it's at about 300 acres.

It's due south across the valley, about 3 miles away. Really no way for it to get here.

My guess is someone dropped a cigarette out a car window on the highway.

FWW-6322.jpgFWW-6316.jpgFWW-6300.jpgFWW-6286.jpgFWW-6267.jpgFWW-6263.jpgFWW-6240.jpgFWW-6199.jpg

We have three big public fireworks displays in our area each year. Two of them are from barges on the lakes (Bull Shoals and Norfork). Even those have been cancelled. To say the situation is serious is a gross understatement.

We're going to feel this quarters water bill, but man oh man, most of our neighbors lawns are tinder boxes, and these fireworks have been popping for weeks here, now that they've been legalized.

Hate to admit I'm back smoking :eek: but I'm grateful the Army taught us to field strip the butts, I hate seeing them tossed out of vehicles :pullhair:

Looks all knocked down, and no smoke seems to be coming from over there now. No structures burned, nobody died. That's about as good as it gets.

Glad it turned out as well as it did. They have yet to cancel our city show, but have banned open burning for now. I cut the grass Sunday and boy does it show.

Brent the pic of the plane is a good catch. Who would have been supplying that service. Is that provided by the State or more local authorities. Did they use planes to knock it down, looks like he is spreading fire retardent but the pic makes it look like he is doing it after the horse has bolted?

Whew, it is a little nerve wracking even when you don't reckon it can get to you. Do be careful all.

We had a "small" 70a fire about 1/2 mile from us on Sunday, just close enough you make sure you know where the passports and insurance papers are. Kids playing with bottle rockets apparently. Luckily its been unseasonably wet here (unlike most of the west) so it didn't really get a good hold.

Brent the pic of the plane is a good catch. Who would have been supplying that service. Is that provided by the State or more local authorities. Did they use planes to knock it down, looks like he is spreading fire retardent but the pic makes it look like he is doing it after the horse has bolted?

Not sure who exactly, but this one one of 2 fires in the area yesterday. The other one was closer to town, but no structures were threatened. I did hear it they had a combination of city/county/federal resources working on it.

It's hard to tell, but the plane was actually dropping that on just the other side of the hill, so I'm reckoning there were still flames back by there. It's amazing how they were able to save some of the structures that were right in the path of those flames.

The speed at which they were spreading was also amazing. Nothing but dry cheat grass and sage brush. Burns hot and fast, but not very long. Once it moves through it's pretty much done.

Whew, it is a little nerve wracking even when you don't reckon it can get to you. Do be careful all.

We had a "small" 70a fire about 1/2 mile from us on Sunday, just close enough you make sure you know where the passports and insurance papers are. Kids playing with bottle rockets apparently. Luckily its been unseasonably wet here (unlike most of the west) so it didn't really get a good hold.

3 miles away was close enough for me. Yikes that sounds close!