Home Depot Ply

Has anybody tried the "new" plywood at Home Depot? Purebond is what they are calling it I believe. I need a sheet or two of cherry and thinking about giving it a try.

From Columbia Forest Product website:

Non-Toxic Technology.
Soy-Based Adhesive.
Cost-Competitive.
North American Made.
And only from Columbia Forest Products.

The original cost-competitive decorative hardwood plywood without the formaldehyde. PureBond® is Columbia Forest Products' exclusive formaldehyde-free innovation for hardwood plywood manufacturing.

Replacing traditional urea formaldehyde (UF) hardwood plywood construction with non-toxic, soy-based PureBond enables Columbia to eliminate any added formaldehyde from standard veneer-core and non-UF composite hardwood plywood core panels. That's great news for our employees, our customers and the air we all breathe.

Don't know anything about Home Depot's plywood as I rarely shop at HD much anymore... the wife opened an account at Lowe's and we do most of our shopping there...

On another subject of plywood, back when I was working, my company used plywood by the carload... we did export boxing and use 1/2 inch on the sides... our boxes were strong and never came apart.... but when the wood "shortage" developed a few years back, we went looking for a better source of plywood than the local Georgia Pacific distributor. That summer I imported 67 20' containers from Brazil with 31/64" plywood - generally 20 bundles per container... we got more plys per sheet, with fewer voids at about a reduction in total cost, even after paying for transportation from Brazil, rail from Florida ports and customs clearance and duties... worst problem I ran into was finding ships to call the smaller ports of Brazil on a regular basis.

I just bought some Tuesday night. It looks like decent stuff. The veneer is reasonably thick and I didn't find any significant voids, just some knots in the core. I used it to make a cutting table so i ripped it all to 3.875" strips so I saw a lot of the core. I bought birch.

About a year ago Home Depot gave me the hard sell (they have me as a Pro customer, so could bombard my email). Finally I went in to see the miracle. It was better than in the past, but the 3/4 inch was still only 5 ply, and didn't seem exceptionally smooth under the microscopically thin show layer. It was only a couple dollars cheaper than the 11-15 ply I get from my lumber yard, that provides free delivery on my typical order.

Almost everyone offers formaldehyde free plywood now, but I don't worry about that... the amount of formaldehyde that your body gives off in a day is more than that from most plywood, and the worst cases I have heard is that it is virtually all gone in a month, open to reasonable ventilation.