Ideas for your bits and pieces of pretty wood?

Jeff Bower

I find it hard to throw out any piece of wood, especially spalted or highly figured wood. (OK any wood at all :rolleyes:) Last night as I waited out in the shop, sweating like crazy, for some glue to dry I saw a box full of small bits of spalted hackberry. Went to the bansaw and a sanded some bits up and came up with a pendant and some square buttons. Dipped them in some danish oil and this is what I finished with. Put them up on my etsy.com shop and we'll see what happens.

So what other ideas do ya'll have for me or what have you made with bits and pieces.?:dunno: I have 4-5 shoe boxes full of pieces this size and a bit bigger. :eek:

Attachments

• pendant2.JPG
    pendant2.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 65
  • button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 66
I dont have really fancy wood besides some spalted maple.
I usually clean out all the small pieces once or twice a year, because there just isnt enough room to store everything.

I have found that banks are neat to make with small bits and pieces of wood that I have left over from different projects. I just can't pitch those nice looking little pieces. I have a bin full of small pieces of different woods and when I don't have a project working I will pull some out and make a bank.

Bank 1.jpg Bank 2.jpg

Bank 3.jpg Bank 4.jpg

I have found that banks are neat to make with small bits and pieces of wood that I have left over from different projects. I just can't pitch those nice looking little pieces. I have a bin full of small pieces of different woods and when I don't have a project working I will pull some out and make a bank.

View attachment 68669 View attachment 68670

View attachment 68671 View attachment 68672

can you show us how you make those bill? i got granddaughter that could use one:)

can you show us how you make those bill? i got granddaughter that could use one:)

There is really not a lot to it, the base it just made up of some scrap.

The base is some walnut, hard maple and purple heart all glued up and then rout an edge on it to your liking. Then some hard maple and purple heart strips the same width and the ones on the base, they are 1/2" thick. glue them up, then cut them at a 45 and glue them together. Now glue on the walnut face on each side, sand it, route the edges and finish it. The top is really just a box with no a bottom, there are 2 small blocks glued to the sides of the box and that holds it to the base with 2 screws from the bottom.

The other box is done the same way but on it I used 22.5 degree cuts and glued the box up all at once then make the top and bottom.

so the strips make the open space inside the bank and you remove 2 screws to get at the loot when its full:)

That is correct, the screws I use are square drive so it is not easy to open it, my grand daughters have to get Dad to open it. The banks don't hold a lot of money but they look neat and are really different then most banks you see.

Pure genius Bill. Those banks look fantastic. :thumb: Not to mention the benefit of teaching a kid to save.;) I can think of a few gov people i could send those to so they get the message. :D

What about some little fridge magnets? You could turn them on the lathe and then use a rare earth magnet in the bottom.

Brent, I've acutally made some magnets before. Forgot about them though...will make some more. (As soon as it's not 124 degrees in the garage) :pullhair::tantrum:

I've been planning on making some once I dig my lathe out of the mess. I have a special use for them that I'll probably show in another thread once I get them built.