Something for the eyes to play with

Chas Jones

Just realised that it's some time since I showed my face, output has been much of a muchness for some time (see bits and pieces) but have started a new line mainly to try and improve my cutting accuracy and dimension control. The aim being to take the wood straight off the chop saw and assemble the glue-up.

Attachments

• DSCN3256 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3256 (Medium).JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN3255 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN3255 (Medium).JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 70
From what I'm seeing, I'd say your chop saw it set up about as perfectly as it can get. Great design and very nice execution, Chas. :clap:

Very very nice. Someday I have to try some of the things you do but I already know they won't get posted.
Dennis

Oh boy Chas i drool at your work. If i get to visit the UK i definitely want to look you up and get to learn a few things from you.
There is skill you have that needs to be preserved somehow.
I could not get 4 pieces of 2x4 with 45 degree corners to form a square without gaps never mind do what you have done. :(

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

... glue ups look tight.
Been trying to improve on them, it's obvious that if the dimensions are OK then the joints will be likewise.

Easy to say but frustratingly easy to get wrong, especially if you resort to sanding etc. to achieve a fit.
Hence my attempts to cut to size, correct angles and square to a face in the first instance, less chance of me screwing things up.
I find the surface as cut on the saw to be better at blending in the joint than too fine a surface and I suspect it lends itself to better end grain bonding than a finely sanded surface.

Just an update, got the segment sizes more to my liking & now have the assembly method sorted for minimum effort, just the feet position to settle and some method of jigging those to avoid messing them up. (think these feet are too prominent)

Attachments

• DSCN3316m.JPG
    DSCN3316m.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3315m.JPG
    DSCN3315m.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 10
Feet now sorted, fixed the location and made drilling guide for this one this morning, no more measuring and messing with feet to fit individual pieces.
DSCN3317m.JPG.DSCN3318m.JPG