A little public service for you Windows users..................

Mark Rios

I only use Apple products but I came across this in a newsletter that I get and thought that you folks might find it of interest:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is from a newsletter sent out by Kim Komando, a radio computer talk show host(ess).

Question:
I'm going to buy a new computer. I want a Windows Media Center version. Should I buy one now and get the Vista upgrade? Or should I wait and get one with Vista pre-installed? Also, will the Vista upgrade totally wipe out the XP operating system or just modify it?
Bill in Sun City West, AZ, listening on podcast

Answer:
That's a tough question, Bill. And I'm sure there are many people in your situation. Unfortunately, there is no definite answer here.
In the months ahead, you'll find great deals on machines running Windows XP. Retailers will be clearing space for new computers running Vista.

Most manufacturers are offering upgrade coupons. This is great. But you need to pay special attention to what you're getting. Some aren't charging for the upgrades. But others are only offering discounts. Take the extra cost into consideration.

The version of Vista you're eligible to receive is based on the version of XP installed on the machine. Click here for more from Microsoft on the Vista upgrade coupons.

You may need to do a clean installation of Vista. Microsoft has a rather complex upgrade matrix set up on its site. It will tell you if you need to do a clean install. Click here.

Basically, though, XP Home will not require a full installation of Vista. With XP Professional and XP Media Center, you may need to do a clean installation. Other versions of Windows XP also may require a full installation.

So before you make the decision on whether to upgrade, decide which version of Vista you want. And then plan accordingly.

Upgrading the operating system is always a chore. It becomes more tedious if you have to do a fresh install.

Whether you do a clean installation or not, backups are important. You'll need to take special care to back up all your data and settings. It's a preventative measure if you're upgrading. But if you do a clean installation, a backup is essential. Otherwise, everything will be lost.

Click here for a tip that will help you decide what to back up.

If you're okay installing or upgrading the operating system, and you find a great deal, go for it. But a word of warning before you buy an XP machine. Make sure it is Vista capable. Some sale machines won't be.

And if you want to make sure the machine will run the higher-end versions of Vista, it should be Vista Premium Ready.

If you don't want to deal with the upgrade, I don't blame you. I'd just wait until machines running Vista ship. I'm sure you'll find some good deals then, too. And you won't have all the hassle.

If you want to find out if your current computer will run Vista, try the Upgrade Advisor. Click here.

Learn to transfer your data from your old machine. Click here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll notice a few "click here's". These are links that don't, of course, copy and paste. If you would like this email so you can use the links, email me and I will forward it to you.

You'll notice a few "click here's". These are links that don't, of course, copy and paste.
What editing mode are you set for in the User CP?

If this was an HTML email, I think the links will copy-and-paste properly if you use the "WYSIWYG" option of the post editor. For example:

What makes this my kind of case isn’t so much the subject matter 4 as the consummate goofiness of the whole thing. Which, as is usually the case, seems to be the least interesting aspect of it to the mainstream press. They don’t ask ANY of the questions that immediately occur to me.5

(The '4' and '5' are links to footnotes in the original artical that was emailed to me.)

Last edited:
Im not that html literate Lee. Like, none at all. :rolleyes:

edit: I changed the preference choice to the third choice, Lee, WYSIWYG. Then, I just recopied and posted the email text again and I couldn't get it to work. Thanks though.

Last edited: