Splurged on a few new bits

Ned Bulken

Got home from running errands today to find a package IN my mailbox from MLCS. I splurged on some new bits for my trim router. I was just going to get an 1/8" roundover and a flush trim bit, but decided on this instead:
bits1.jpg

You can see the flush trim, bottom bearing 1/4" shaft and 1/2" wide bit. 1" long business end.

The cute little box next to it has 1/8", 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" roundover bits. Obviously the 1/2" and likely the 3/8" won't see use in my little router, but it was a good deal so I splurged. I can use them in my 690 instead.
bits2.jpg

just under $40 for 5 bits, not too shabby. And it was free shipping, which arrived in just 2 days! Maybe not the snazziest bits, but they'll do ok by me for quite awhile.

not woodworking

that quilt appears to be a yellow brick road pattern? is it one that your wife made? sure is sharp looking though// all the color in those batiks

Larry,
that quilt was a wedding present from 4 of my mother's friends. They've given all of each other's kids quilts over the years. it is one of 4 quilts that we sleep under. So far the LOML hasn't caught the quilting bug.

Greg, sign up for their 'email special' mailing list. every once in awhile their already decent prices get even better. This time, I must admit it was just what I said, a 'splurge' on my part.

there's my shop dawg, with a wider angle view. I don't know the name of the pattern, however.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Greg, sign up for their 'email special' mailing list. every once in awhile their already decent prices get even better. This time, I must admit it was just what I said, a 'splurge' on my part.

I agree. That is a good way to keep an eye out for some of their good deals.

I do not have any of their reqular bits but have some of their Katana bits and they are very good. I am going to give some of their other bits a shot also.

Allen,

How do the Katana bits perform? I don't have any, but have thought seriously about getting some eventually. I started out with a basic Ryobi set at home, but they are wearing out after about 2 years of moderate use. If I don't go the Katana route, I'm thinking about eventually upgrading to Whiteside bits.

Hi Matt - I've used some Katana's and do find them to be a "cut above" the standard MLCS bits, though not to the same standard as the Whitesides. If you keep your eyes peeled, it's possible to find the WS on sale at comparable (or lower) prices than the Katana, which don't go on sale often or too steaply. Holbren and Hartville offer good sales on the WS, Holbren offers free s/h to boot.

Another bit I find comparable to the Katana is the black Price Cutter line. The name dilutes the reputation IMO, but they're really a pretty decent import bit that are a step up from the standard import bits like MLCS, Woodcraft, Holbren's standard line, and Woodline (which are all at least as good as the Ryobi set IMO). Price Cutter is associated with Eagle America which are a top shelf US made bit that's more comparable to the WS...Price Cutter's standard import line are the green "Bargain Bits", which again, is a name that dilutes the image IMO. Price Cutter offers frequent sale incentives that can make the black bits a pretty good value on a good intermediate bit....not too many players in that niche AFAIK.

Enjoy your new bits Ned! :thumb:

If you are looking for top notch bits we all know about Whiteside and they are American made which I like. Another option in this quality range are the Infinity bits. This is another place that you can sign up for their specials and can someitmes get some good deals on blemished or overstock bits. By good deals I do not mean cheap but better than their normal price.

Last edited:
Allen,

How do the Katana bits perform? I don't have any, but have thought seriously about getting some eventually. I started out with a basic Ryobi set at home, but they are wearing out after about 2 years of moderate use. If I don't go the Katana route, I'm thinking about eventually upgrading to Whiteside bits.

Matt,

I have the Katana matched rail and stile and raised panel with undercutter bits and could not be happier. They cut great and seem to be holding up well so far. Of course you cannot go wrong with Whiteside or Infinity either.

I also know that you are waiting for the Holbren set. I just had a plesant supprise as I was starting to do a little work and the mailperson just walked up and handed me the Holbren 1/2" shank set. I guess that Mr. Holbren just got snowed under after the word got out about the "deal". I suspect that yours will be there soon. I hope so anyway.

Allen