silly question?

Michael Hult

Ok everyone I got a silly question.

I was working in my shop yesterday standing at my sander in a cloud of dust, when my brother-in-law came in. After a short discussion about what I was building and for who, he looked around the shop with a strange look on his face. Je then turns and says "for all the things you've had in this shop you'd think you would have built a chair for in here by now."

I don't do a lot of sitting when I'm in the shop so it has never really crossed my mind to have a spot for someone to sit. So back to the silly question... Do you all have chairs or something for guests or yourself in the shop?

I don't have chair or even stool but I am considering one. Often after being on my feet for a few hours working in the shop, I need to sit down and retreat to the house to do it. On those occasions, just 5 minutes off my feet relieve them and I can go back to work.

My shop is in the garage, so no fancy digs for me. I have a stool, the first one I ever made about 30 years ago, but that's for me. Any guests get the lawn chairs, which are actually pretty good.

I've got a couple of cheap barstools I got from the local OSH many years ago. They've done duty as make shift sawhorses, stands for spray painting objects, welding supports, step stools, backing for hole drilling. I even sit on them. But they aren't all that comfy. I do have a computer in the garage I use for some of my electronic projects and will generally sit down while I'm working on electronic projects, or model building and such.

I have a stool that gets used when I scroll which is rarely. The rest of the time it gets moved from here to there or even put in the house. I have no time for sitting around when I'm in the shop. Give me another decade or so and I may sing a different tune :rolleyes:

i work standing up mostly so as for use in the shop, no but i have entertained several in the shop or the office area.. so i have two chair for quest plus my chair in the office and i have three more stool types that will work when i have friends stop to visit..its usually the coolest place to be when visitors come..

I've actually made the switch to a standing desk lately and am trying to reduce the amount of time I sit. Sure makes sitting in the ole lazy boy at night a lot more relaxing.

Last edited:
I recently put in a used desk chair on castors. Ive had one or two stools in there for 5 years, but my back couldnt take it when I was sitting down doing numbers or drawing something up. Now I find myself taking more breaks and drinking coffee and relaxing since I put a comfy cushioned chair in there.
I dont allow visitors to stay in there, its a looksie, then get out, leave me alone, that is my alone zone.

I have 4 small stools stored on the ceiling for when I teach classes. I also have "my" stool which is padded because i'm tender like that. I also have a small roll-around mechanic's type seat that is handy when working on things that are below waist level. It occurs to me that I have lots of seating!

I have a stool that I made a long time ago, I use it for doing repetitive tasks sitting at the workbench, I also have a comfy chair, which is a very nice old office chair I got somewhere....?
I often eat meaning in the Dungeon, and when I have friends over for a coffee or a beer, it's nice to have s place to sit.
To me your comment about the clouds of dust are of more concern than a place to sit!!

Yep there is a drafting stool in the shop for me to sit on when necessary, I also like Jay can't stand for long periods of time because of a bad back, the years are taking their toll :rofl:

I have a stool that gets used when I scroll which is rarely. The rest of the time it gets moved from here to there or even put in the house. I have no time for sitting around when I'm in the shop. Give me another decade or so and I may sing a different tune :rolleyes:

Man, isn't that the truth. If I didn't have a chair to sit in occasionally, my shop time would be drastically reduced. I have a comfortable, upholstered, desk chair. I use the chair when I sketch (before someone else says it, I will, "It's hard to sketch with a chair. Use a pencil.), file or sand small parts, assemble small parts, etc.

I have been kidded by some FWW members because I use old Tee Shirts to protect the upholstery. I pull one over the back rest and another over the seat. That really looks tacky. However, it saves the chair so someone with decent clothes on can use it.

Enjoy,

JimB

i have a cheap barstool that I use when I am working on something on my high workbench that requires hand tools and doesn't require a lot of movement. E.g. sharpening, sanding small parts, thinking, drinking coffee...

Man, isn't that the truth. If I didn't have a chair to sit in occasionally, my shop time would be drastically reduced. I have a comfortable, upholstered, desk chair. I use the chair when I sketch (before someone else says it, I will, "It's hard to sketch with a chair. Use a pencil.), file or sand small parts, assemble small parts, etc.

I have been kidded by some FWW members because I use old Tee Shirts to protect the upholstery. I pull one over the back rest and another over the seat. That really looks tacky. However, it saves the chair so someone with decent clothes on can use it.

Enjoy,

JimB

"However, it saves the chair so someone with decent clothes on can use it." Note to self remember not to wear indecent clothes.