Bench Shots - 03/16/07

Jeff Horton

The weekend is here again! So here's the game plan. Sometime over the weekend take a photo of your bench(es). Show us what is on your bench top this weekend.

Jeff

Ba-Dup-Pa-Dup-Pa-Dup-Pa..... :rofl:
Working on my 40" extention.

100_1396.jpg

100_1400.jpg

100_1402.jpg

100_1404.jpg

I can't believe it fit snug as a bug the first time. It was so easy it scared me. I just KNEW something had to be bad wrong. :rofl:

DT

Where is everyone????? Hope this means everyone is bent over their benches to busy to take a photo.

Of course this is just Saturday morning! :eek: I forgot, my weekend started Friday.

bench2.jpg

Looks just like that last couple of weeks. Except there are orange clamps on there. Hoping to finish it up today and get it ready for paint. Probably won't but maybe I can get it off the bench.

bench1.jpg

Drilling some dowel holes with my 'cordless' drill and my favorite Dowel Jig. A Stanley #59. It's a great dowel jig if your familiar with it. They come up fairly regular on EBay. You find a complete one for a very reasonable price too.

Coffee cup :thumb:
Nail gun and clamps.

Mines mainly what came off my bench this morning.
10 cabinets boxes.
Working on the face frames.

Last edited:
It might look like that there is not anything on my bench but you would be wrong. It is something that I have been wanting for a couple of weeks. The answere is wax. The boiled linseed oil finally dried to where there was little smell so I finally was able to put a couple of coats of wax on the top. Now I will be able to use it for a small assembly table as well as a bench. Not very fancy but it is really flat which is what I needed.

Attachments

• wwb.jpg
    wwb.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 39
I'm currently redoing my bench. I used a couple of oak raised panel doors for the top. (I ripped the doors apart, cut off all the profiles on the rail and stiles) then glued everything up. The rest of the bench is just Pine 2x4s glued together and screwed. I work in a small basement (16x16), so the bench is small. 20" x 48".

I purchased a vise from Rockler along with some veneer presses. I decided to use the presses as a long vise on the front and the small one on the end. But then I decided the top was too thin. 1 3/8 thick. So today I ripped down the wood I had on hand, 3/4" poplar. It was salvaged base molding (7" wide) from a trim job I was doing. I ripped 32 pcs 2 1/2" X 60" boards, then glued them up. I ripped 8 pcs 3 7/8 as my boarder for around the top. This sucker will be thick now. I am going to make it big enough so I can just set it over the oak top.

I haven't decided how I am going to attach the boarder.

or the vice...

and have no idea how the veneer presses attach... (if someone could point me in the right direction here..)

nor do I have any idea how the poplar will hold up as a top. Its the hardest thing I have with out spending mucho money!

I'm trying to incorporate the vise used in Jeff Miller's "Using a BenchTop Bench" in Fine Woodworking #176 - Problem is that I don't have Issue number 176 to read the article. I saw him using it in a promo for the magazine.:dunno:

Maybe you can see the bench behind this piece? The changing bed/dresser combo is finished - it was delivered to our client yesterday. Our daughter had a new baby girl, Rita Anne!!! She was born nine days ago, which means I was late with this project :( . She was early by a whole week; I would have been late anyway...

Attachments

• Changing table-ready for delivery.JPG
    Changing table-ready for delivery.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 19
current bench shot this weekend

hey all

this weekend was a sharpening day saturday heres a few shots of what i sharpened/honed restored ..... whatever the particular tool needed at the time . the little double bladed spokeshave still needs some work but, i will get to it eventually ;) thanks for looking :)

p.s. anyone got an original brass "chip breaker" for the 2 bladed spokeshave laying around ?? message me! thanks

Attachments

• DSC00683.jpg
    DSC00683.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00684.jpg
    DSC00684.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00686.jpg
    DSC00686.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00687.jpg
    DSC00687.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 12
Glued strips of wood to the underside of my laundry room sink for easier mounting. Got it in, and now working on the plumbing. (I can create a leak in any plumbing job....:doh:)