Car lift suggestions

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone here have a 2 or 4 post car lift? I'm looking at getting one in the future, just trying to do some research and see what those that have them have. I'm leaning towards a heavier 4 post lift since I'll probably always have a larger truck as well as family members with them, but open to suggestions.

No real knowledge, but I always thought the 4 post lifts seemed, well less likely to tip over :D

Might send Cynthia a PM, I'm pretty sure her husband has one in his shop.

No real knowledge, but I always thought the 4 post lifts seemed, well less likely to tip over :D

Might send Cynthia a PM, I'm pretty sure her husband has one in his shop.

Yeah, Another point for the 4 post...that and I can park the hot rod on top of it and the vette under to save some space...you know...when I win the lottery. ;)

I have a friend whose a mechanic and when he started his own business he installed a 2 post lift. When he had to expand he purchased 2 more of the same 2 post lifts for a total of three lifts. It had no problem lifting a full size dually pickup.

Now if you want to store another vehicle in the air then I would think it would be a 4 post but with the ramps so that it lifts the vehicle by the wheels.

My dad owned his own Mobil gas station. We had (still have in dad's home shop as we moved them!) the frame hoist and the drive on hoist. The new two post lifts have a disadvantage when exiting and entering the vehicle as the posts are near or right at the door so you have to be careful. Otherwise for working underneath the vehicle it is amazingly clear! Nothing in your way from stem to stern. Get a good USA made one, don't settle for the Chi/Ti ones. Those cheap ones are just a bunch of cables that really scare the heck out of me.

I commented to a good mechanic how nice lifts he had, they were two post. He responded that they were sure good for banging doors. He really preferred the old single cylinder lifts coming out of the ground.