Im not a real gun enthusiast, but ya gotta love the ak47(chinese)

allen levine

someone asked me about an ak47, hasnt been touched since 1981 or 1982, was never cleaned, left in a damp basement, and when the owner passed, a relative got it.
I cleaned it up.
The residue, grime, crud, came right off completely with some hoppes, the bolt cleaned up like new.
after I stripped it down and cleaned it, I had a tough time putting on the cover, just wouldnt snap in, but eventually I realized maybe I was trying too hard the wrong way.
The gun was shot today, 150 rounds,5 mags(I think they were all 30 rounds mags) accurate and no sign of wear and tear or neglect.
gotta love the way they made those things.

I was just looking at them last night to add one to the collection sometime this year. Have a few honey do projects to get done and to get a dust collection setup in the shop first. I've got a sks and the thing is pretty flawless as junky as it looks.

They actually make them in a variety of calibers now. The most common by far is still 7.62x39 though. Really amazingly simple and effective. More things should be made so well.

jon, I have 2 ak47s myself, both are .223 , but the one I cleaned wasnt, and to be honest, I didnt ask what caliber, but I believe it was a 7.62.
We have 2 or 3 outdoor ranges within 45 minutes of me on Long Island, and the indoor range 15 minutes from me, allows you to shoot the ak, just no full metal jackets,I never shot it there indoors, but my nephew shoots his ar15 all the time and they dont allow large magazines, but if you dont rapid fire, they are ok with the larger mags.
I usually only shoot my rifles when I go upstate.

darren, if you only keep one assault rifle in your entire collection, the ak47 is the way to go.
Preferably chinese or russian made.
I keep some other cheap ones, like marlin camp 9, a little jazzed up, but I still love the ak more than any other rapid fire rifle.

Last edited:
Bad word that Ak 47 in Africa.
Great weapon and best ones came from Czechoslovakia.
We learnt all about their merits in the SA version of Vietnam. Our bush war waste of time money and lives.
You can do unspeakable things to it and it will keep on working.
For bush warfare its really great given its barrel length.
We on the other hand were using a looooong FN rifle. Small magazine needs cleaning all the time and try swing that around when you in the bush. :) Same ammo Nato 7.62 round.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Jon, at the indoor range I go to in Albuquerque, they allow AK-47s and AR-15s, even with FMJ bullets. Rapid fire? No problem. The even rent full auto weapons for only about $20 per day. (Although you have to buy your ammo from the range shop, and a full auto can eat a lot of ammo very quickly.)

I've not shot an AK-47, although the ones I've handled sure seemed cheap with all the stamped metal parts. I know they're virtually indestructible, but I still prefer an AR-15.

I remember seeing a show once, where they took the ak and threw it into mud, buried it so it couldnt be seen, then had a few jeeps and trucks run over it, took it out of the mud, and it fired like nothing had happenned.
no doubt thats a main reason its the weapon of choice for probably 75 % of the worlds various armies.