a dufus with power

allen levine

could you imagine getting tickets and going to see the boss in concert in london?
then he brings paul mccartney on stage and they rattle off some numbers.
2 of the rock icons of our times, maybe the 2 biggest legends of our times, as far as rock , I mean really, does it get much better?

and then some dufus decides ok, curfew is 10 pm for music, and its 10:20, so shut off the sound on paul and bruce in the middle of a song. REally?
maybe someone is letting their power go to their head a bit.

what a dufus.

I guess theres absolutelyl no crime in england, so the cops have nothing better to do then shut down history in the making.

Curfew @ 10pm????? that dont sound like the London i know. This is more like some power hungry administrator flexing his muscles. The pubs dont have last round at 10pm :D

Law is law. Should they be above it?

so then legally, what youre saying is every law should be enforced.

I guess osha would shut down 98% of the hobbyist woodworkers in america, since few have proper ventilation, ducting, permits, to spray any chemicals, and shops would be fined constantly for not having enough space, proper exits, proper dust collection, and Im sure 45 other health codes that would shut down anyone who works in their home

and Im 98% certain, that curfew thing is nonsense, just there so the people that buy those 5 million dollar homes, decide whether or not someone can have a party or not if it bothers them.
Im sure if one of those rich brits make a party that goes well into the wee hours of the morning, no coppers are shutting them down. no way, never happen.

Last edited:
so then legally, what youre saying is every law should be enforced.

I guess osha would shut down 98% of the hobbyist woodworkers in america, since few have proper ventilation, ducting, permits, to spray any chemicals, and shops would be fined constantly for not having enough space, proper exits, proper dust collection, and Im sure 45 other health codes that would shut down anyone who works in their home

Actually - OSHA has no jurisdiction in hobbyist workshops, thankfully.

But what's the point of making a law if you don't enforce it?

Actually - OSHA has no jurisdiction in hobbyist workshops, thankfully.

But what's the point of making a law if you don't enforce it?

because not every law is worth wasting tax payers money enforcing.

btw, I said osha, but really didnt have a clue about what their jurisdiction is. In every area, there are code inspectors and if they wanted, they can certainly shut down every hobbyist on the planet if they spray chemicals in their home or garages, and then there are another ton of regulations regarding the storage, disposal, of all those chemicals, and they would make finishing a product a nightmare and an expense noone would want as a hobbyist.

Maybe he just had some good taste in music?

:chair:

:saythat:

so youre saying paul mccartney or bruce isnt worth listening too?

I can respect that, but the 80 thousand people in attendance disagreed with you, and make that 80001.

I can see Im in the minority here, and thats quite ok with me.

Id can those coppers so fast they wouldnt know what hit them.

so youre saying paul mccartney or bruce isnt worth listening too?

I can respect that, but the 80 thousand people in attendance disagreed with you, and make that 80001.

I can see Im in the minority here, and thats quite ok with me.

Id can those coppers so fast they wouldnt know what hit them.

Just a joke Allen... :D

Not really a fan of either of those two guys, so no, I would not be 80,002... :rolleyes:

My tastes in music are much more eccentric.

because not every law is worth wasting tax payers money enforcing.

That doesn't answer my question - If it's not enforced, why is it there? Seems to me we could save ourselves a whole lot of fuss in both directions - if you're not gonna enforce a law, don't make it. If you make it, enforce it. I see no reason to have some abstract thing say "don't do this" and then have no consequence if you do it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight - just trying to figure out how enforcing a law is bad. Now, i'd have a problem if they *selectively* enforced a law - that'd get me riled. But to have a law on the books, have it enforced, and then complaining about said enforcement doesn't work in my head. Wouldn't your problem be with the law, not the enforcement?

thats what gets me jason, the law is there and from my own personal experience with certain quality of life rules, its enforced selectively.
Its more of a nuisance thing, and as Ive stated, Im quite sure all the very wealthy living around that arena, would not have the police shut down one of their wedding ceremonies if they chose to do it outside, at 10 pm on a saturday night.
I dont know why people would purchase a home with an arena that large close to their expensive homes.
Regardless, all Im trying to bring out is that a local flexed his authority muscles a bit, and showed them who he was.
the article stated the mayor of that local town said he would have let them played on.

its a big grey area.
there are loads of codes similar to noise codes that sometimes dont fit with todays living. Im guessing
it takes a massive govt effort to remove these codes and regulations, so local govts just dont enforce them anymore.
They are there, on the books, and Im sure if they needed to get rid of a troublemaker they would throw every antiquated offense at that person, but none of them really get enforced.

a few examples, from where I live.
We have codes(if you break a code, you go to court, because its local law), one is a noise code. You arent allowed to make noise after 10 pm also.
Ive had 100 large parties at my house,(as well as alot of my neighbors have had) in my yard, well into 1-2 am, and Ive never had an officer tell me to shut it down.
code around here states there must be no pavement laid within 2 feet of a neighbors property, but every single home in my area, has laid pavement closer than that, because those codes are 80 years old, and people need the driveway space these days, none get enforced, theyd have to go after everyone.
you cant lay pavement past your building line, where your house is, once again, everyone does, nothing gets enforced.

I bet if the village wanted to evict someone for other reasons, theyd throw every code in the book at them to harass them, but those laws obviously arent getting enforced otherwise.

fight? were just tossing different points of views around.

Last edited:
My $.02: In life, and in my profession, you gotta know the rules. Any you gotta know when to break 'em.
You want rules enforced 100%? Anybody here ever drive faster than the posted limit?

I took time to read several reports about the incident. This from a Gannett newspaper seems to summarize what happened:

"Concert organizers pulled the plug on rock stars Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney after the pair defied the sound curfew at London’s Hyde Park, silencing their microphones at the tail end of the show.
Springsteen had already exceeded the 10:30 p.m. curfew by half an hour Saturday when he welcomed McCartney on stage and they sang the Beatles hits “I Saw Her Standing There” and “Twist and Shout.” But the microphones were turned off before they could thank the crowd, forcing them to leave the stage in silence.

A statement from concert organizer Live Nation said it was unfortunate that Springsteen’s three-hour-plus performance was stopped “right at the very end,” but it said that the curfew had been laid down by the authorities “in the interest of the public’s health and safety.”..."

So, it appears "The Boss" put himself above the law. Another article says that Madonna has pledged to end on time.

I guess that problems arise when the same law or rule is applied/enforced differently. My question would be, any other singer had the same treatment in the same place for the same reason? Or maybe a month ago Kiss had a concert that lasted until 12:00pm and nothing happened?

It feels like when you are getting a fine for exceeding the speed limit and while begging to the officer, a guy in a ferrari soars by at 200mph, blowing away the officer's cap. dunno.

Spain is one of the countries with more regulations and laws, and I guess it is one in which they are less enforced for that same reason.

Toni i think you hit the nail on the head. If laws were enforced properly then my NN would have been charged with harrassment by now.

Hyde Park says it all but my guess is this is not the first time this has happened.