Got one!

Ed Nelson

Tried another bowl. Made it with no blow out! I won't really be suprised if this one cracks, but it was a trial run anyway. If it doesn't crack, I'll sand it a little more and put a finish on it!

bowlside.jpg

bowl.jpg

Way to go, Ed. :thumb: What kind of wood is it? Did you turn it green, or was the wood dried?

If it's dry (or once it's dry) I'd finish sanding all the ring scratches out (by hand, with the lathe turned off, emulating a random orbital sander) and slap a coat or two of finish on that bad boy, and it'll good to go. Don't forget to sign and date the bottom, too. ;)

I think that is some of the "I need a raincoat turning this stuff" wet that Ed got from his Dad?? Cedar?

Looks good.

If you are roughing it out, and going to let it dry a bit, you should not make any thin parts, these could be the starting places for cracks.

Sure is nice looking wood! :thumb:

You got it Stu! I was actually shocked this morning when I found the bowl hadn't split. I'm going to chuck it back up for a couple grits of sandpaper and put a finish on it. All those cedar shavings have my gar...shop smelling really nice!

Congratulations. Those little knots I see are usually the culprits in making a red cedar turning explode just about when you are finished with a project. Save the shavings and put in an old nylon stocking or something. They make closets smell fresh and keep away insects.

Looks like Aeromatic Eastern Red Cedar (will grow where nothing else grows) It is so Oily that it dries somewhat differently. Sure bet you smell great after turning it....:rolleyes: No moths or silverfish in your shop area....:eek:

But Yew also looks like that at the base of the shrub. :huh:

Nice piece of turning as well, thanks for the posting.