My old Craftsman 103.23070 wood lathe

I took the lathe apart the other day to do a little minor repair and cleanup and got completely carried away. I still have the extension bed and long tool rest to clean and paint, but I got the basics finished.

100_2883.jpg100_2884.jpg100_2885.jpg100_2886.jpg

When I got this from my dad the only tool rest with it was a long double rest so I had this made.
100_2888.jpg

The name badge had been painted over and was beyond cleaning up so I drew this one up, printed it out on a heavy label and cemented it to a piece of aluminum flashing. now it looks official
100_2889.jpg

You did a fine job on that. There was a time when Craftsman made a lot of good tools. In my retirement community we see a very lot of old Craftsman table saws (I recently bought one) and lathes. Yers is an oldie but goodie.

Roy I have the same vintage lathe that I bought new for a whopping $25.00 that was in 1956 I think, that has been a while back. Mine doesn't look as pretty though. Mine is grey where yours was red, and the one that I have doesn't have the tailstock locking knob that yours has, I just have an acorn nut on mine, otherwise identical. You did a great job on the restore.

That looks great, Roy. You did an awesome job on it. Like Ken said, now the lathe is ready for many more years of use.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kudos.

Charlie, this one is right around the same age as yours. It was originally gray and my uncle put the red paint on before he gave it to my dad. The locking lever on the tail stock was my idea. I put that on so I didn't have to use a wrench on it.

Ken, I used a couple of rattle cans of Rustoleum 'Smoke Gray' and the knobs and handles are painted with Rustoleum Metallic Finish Silver.

Well done Roy I was going to ask about the spray job too Ken beat me to it. For rattle can that came out wonderful, looked to me like a pro spray painter job. Many years left in that baby.:thumb:

Roy, your label is great! How did you match the Craftsman font so well?

I drew the label in AutoCAD. I downloaded a few pictures off the internet, took what dimensions I could off the old badge and drew the font using linework and then infilled with a solid hatch pattern. I forget the name of the font I used for the other lettering, it is not a perfect match to the original but it is as close a match as I could find.

Craftsman.jpg

Sure looks good from where I'm sitting. Nicely done, sir. It would be cool if we could archive it here, so that others could use it on re-dos, with your permission, of course.

Nice job Roy!
I own the same lathe and am working to give it a face lift. Not a lot to do.
I'd like to know how you redressed the lathe bed?