NIP Vase

Well started turning a NIP vase last week. Had the outside pretty much done and was roughing out the inside. Well the wife came out and said we had company so I needed to come in. I was hesitant to do so as I was afraid to leave it to long. So I spritzed it with some water and covered it with a plastic bag. I taped it around the chuck. Of course the temps here are hot and that day it was 104* outside and 91* inside. Anyway after the company left 2 hrs later I went back out and it had cracked badly. The 2 1/2" neck which was going to have a flared opening had split over a 1/2" wide down the side. I tried a several things to pull it together but nothing seemed to work and it developed another crack. So I went to the end of the crack and cut off the neck. This is what was left. One of my sisters stopped by and it now resides on her fireplace mantel. Anyway I was just sick. Stands about 7 1/4" tall and 5 3/4" across. Finished with antique oil. I buffed it for her.

Attachments

• Norfolk Island Pine 11.jpg
    Norfolk Island Pine 11.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Norfolk Island Pine 12.jpg
    Norfolk Island Pine 12.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 39
Nice save, came out looking really nice in my opinion. If you didn't know you wouldn't know if you know what I mean. To bad about the initial, but thats how it goes sometimes.

Thanks everyone. I guess what I was bummed out about was I didn't get to finish it like the plan in my head. But I guess my Sis thought is was a beauty and it is displayed on her mantel.

Jim Burr: she did pay me and I can't complain. Visited with her yesterday and she made me a T-bone steak, baked patato, asparagus, and a jalapeno all on the BBQ. Yep was good and figured bill paid.:rofl:

Well, it's a very nice looking failure. :)

What is NIP? :huh:

Well Roger where i came from a NIP was a bottle of hard liquor available at our LCBO but only the small ones. We had half jack which was essentially half the 750ml bottle and then the NIP which was i dunno i guess half that again. :D

Luckily i been around here long enough to work out what Carol explained.

Sorry nearly forgot great bowl Bernie, i cant honestyly say i love pine in bowls though.

...i cant honestyly say i love pine in bowls though.

Norfolk Island Pine is somewhat different from typical pine species. In fact it's not really a pine at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_heterophylla

When turned thin and finished with a penetrating oil, it is quite translucent. The symmetrical branches also create a neat effect when they appear as knots on a finished turning.

Here are some other turned examples, including one of mine and at least a couple of Bernie's:

Clicky link

Bernie,
I like the shape you came up with... very graceful and elegant...

I have two logs laying in my shop to turn... keep thinking about them when I see pieces like your, but I'm still hesitant to start them... I'm just a little reluctant to mess up the wood until I feel comfortable with them... I had a third log that I did turn into a sort of Grecian shape and it sold the second weekend I displayed it... I'll get to these two soon.... just hope I can do them the justice you did yours...