What not to do!!!

larry merlau

well this isnt quite woodworking but it is sorta,, i had to stain the house and need to do the garage too before a bunch of folks come up here and the siding falls off the shack.. well i got a brainstorm that to save time and trouble to mask off the eaves with plastic and masking tape ..well that part was good but taking it back off wasnt,, i got glue left on the fascia and some places it came off great and others it left a trail of glue not happy but the house is now brown again.. the weather yesterday was a cool 96 and that didnt help matters on a brown alum fascia.. i hope i can wash it off with mineral spirits after it cools down some,, not gonna do it on the garage will learn from that mistake..

well consarnit ol son! ye kenna uze tha thar duc tape, ye gots ta uze tha thar blu tape. hols jes as gud, an no stikky lefovers. m'bruther sprayded his enteer hous tha way. tapped up th' winnas an trim, and commensed ta sprayin. took nigh unta 2 hours. he had cedar shake sidin.

This stuff works great Larry if the MS fails ya...I just spray some on a rag and get to rubbing, easy peasy!
View attachment 68990

This should work for you and you can get it just about everywhere :)

thanks for the ideas of how to clean up my mess folks,, tried some mineral spirts this am on one lower window and it took it off after some scrubbing,, will see about the other stuff mentioned if i run into more trouble..

Meh...too much work to remove all the stickum. I'd sprinkle glitter on the leftover adhesive and tell folks it was the wife's design choice. :D

Naphtha (cigarette light fluid) will disolve most glues without damaging the base material.

Had a good friend who owned a couple high end furniture and carpet stores. His rule: Try water first. If that does not work; try lighter fluid next. From what I have read I would add a vote for "cleaner's benzine." The benzine was my chem profs choice.

Lighter fluid for the Barbie is not the same as cigarette lighter fluid. However, it seems to work the same for me. I have been using it to remove price tags, labels, carpet (double sided, very sticky) tape, etc. for, at least, 50 years.

Have fun, avoid the fumes of whatever you use, keep it off of your skin (you are going to have a lot of exposure so use your nitril gloves and other protection).

Dare I say, Enjoy?

JimB

Last edited:
I've always had a lot of success with Goo Gone. I ripped up my floor not too long ago and I couldn't get some of the pre-fabbed molding off of my cabinets. I put some of the goo-gone on it, let it soak in, and in an hour I could pull it right off. Good luck!

hey did see some glitter this wknd it was on some real roller derby girls:) they didnt look mean and hurtful but i didnt press my luck:)

I've got a buddy in LA (he's an attorney who works in my wife's office) who has gotten into roller derby bigtime. He started out as a fan, and now he's one of the officials. You're right...the girls don't look mean, but you were wise to not press your luck. :D