SOLD.......FREEDOM

Rob Keeble

Well just to show you how hot the crazy market is around us 12 days on the market and we sold. No conditions done deal.

Timing could not be better with youngest going off to University next month. FREE AT LAST. :):thumb::thumb:

And the bonus was i get to keep my radiant heat shop heater for the next BIGGER shop. :)

Happy as a lark. :bliss::woot:

Only one that aint happy is the oldest one getting the push. BUt he is making progress finally towards his own place and Linda is coming to terms with it.

Quiet like the new people that are buying the house. Couple that have only been in Canada for 1 year and coming from one of our Islands out east. The originate from Baikonour area of Kazakhstan.

Been looking for land around here and spoke to our agent about it and it would seem i need to find land that has some form of dwelling even if its a run down shack. Makes a huge difference to how it fits with banks and town from a development and taxes point of view. I need to do much more research on this subject to get more familiar with the ins and outs before i take the next plunge.

I am just happy i am out of the property market before any crash occurs. All my common sense and knowledge says our local market is in for a significant correction. BUt like others before me i may well be wrong.

Canada is importing 200 to 300 thousand people per year. Around 40% odd of that total end up in what is called the GTA, (greater toronto area). This drives demand for accomodation here and prices just keep going higher and higher. BUt i fear the interest rates we are enjoying in North America cannot and will not continue and when the cycle turns well people will feel the pain of not having cut their coat to suite their cloth.

Forward to the new chapter .:thumb:

congratulations, Rob.

How long a closing? I'm kind of mystified that you've totally sold before getting a line on a new place. Especially since it seems you plan to build? Are you going to live in your camper for a year or something like that?

...art

Great news Rob and take your time we leased a place for a year before building this one it is kn ida neat to plan what your next place will be like then see it get built.Also hope that the oldest gets it together you and Linda will enjoy it when you become empty nesters.

Great news Rob! Go west young man, there is beautiful country in BC. It has two climates, a wet (Vancouver area) and dry (Kelowna & Vernon). Stu can tell you all about Kelowna.

Thanks all for the kind wishes.

Art we gonna see if we can find a place in the "country" to rent first. Then if us city folks can hack it buy land and build. But i have already been advised that i need to buy land with some sort of dwelling on it due to town/bank perceptions etc. So this is an area i have to research first.

There are loads of places to rent so there is no concern on my part as to finding a temp place. I wanted to get out before any changes occur in our market place.

Bill go west young man is an option. Hence us renting. We going to look around before we settle again and do it properly.

But BC is very very out.

Cowboys belong under the rockies skies. :D;):thumb: The place i would love to be is Banff.....then we would be talking.

But i got business interests here that also keep me in Ontario for the moment so time will sort all out.

Lets remember in a crisis cash is King. :thumb: well its always king even when there is no crisis.

Congrats on the quick sale. There is no predicting for real estate. Hope you find new digs soon.
Who are the people moving to Canada/Toronto these days?

Frank the immigrants coming to the greater Toronto area are mostly coming from either China, South Asia (India Pakistan Shrilanka) then Eastern Europe but more the likes of Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Russsia. Then there are loads of Iranians (they call them Persians here) coming as well. Its been quiet an eye opener because with the sale to people of these cultures, the outlook is very different to what i was brought up with. For most here it seems the home is more asset than home. I call these people modern day "gold prospectors" all trying to get in on the gold rush. Except that the "gold" is property in their case.

I unfortunately or fortunately for my kids and my wife and i come from an english background and you know what they say "An englishmans home is his castle" so for us our home is not an asset to be bought and sold every 3 to 5 years but rather our Home and castle to live in an enjoy etc.

My shop was not attractive to the new immigrant. They would prefer a finished basement with an external entrance that they can rent out, despite the title deed and town restrictions on not being allowed to do that in our current area. So you can imagine how this changes the landscape of the area. The area is supposed to be single family dwellings. But there are some in these population groups that have little respect for the law and are more bent on property prospecting than building a community to live in. The community that existed here when we bought 10 years ago has undergone such huge change that its like living in a foreign place. I can comfortably get on with all cultures even did so with my NN until we built a fence together. But it defys logic for me as to why you would leave a country that has issues and come to a place like Canada and then carry with you all those issues. One of which for me is litter. A clear indicator of the change in these community values is the litter around our post box. Sure i dont like flyers coming through my post box, however all it takes is for me to take em home with me and put them in the blue bin when i get out the car. How hard is that.
Instead they get shoved between post box towers and strewn on the floor. This is a concious act to throw them on the floor its not a drop of the occassional item that "slipped" out the hand and got left behind. Its a deliberate disposal of anything that the persons did not want from their box. It looks terrible. BUt even after some kind neighbor to the post boxes put a blue bin next to the boxes, people could not even put their garbage in the bin. Really sad state of affairs because this is how decline begins. Its the very essence of where the conflict with my NN started. In his case he was prepared to have me dump all the builders garbage that came out of the holes for our fence (10 inch holes 4ft down) over our rear fence into the nature reserve we have behind all to save the $80 each for the bin that had already been ordered from the contractor doing the fence.
I think this explains why i want to get out of the subburbs especially around where we are now.
;)

Congrats Rob! Are you sure you might not want to move a little further west AND south? In a few months to a year you will be on your own land, in your own home, building your own shop....and we'll all be taking bets to see if yours is finished before Ned's!:saythat: :rofl::rofl:

Congrats that was fast!

Maybe by the time you're ready to move things will have worked themselves out so the West Coast isn't that far out of possibility :D :D

Kamloops BC a bit north of Kelowna was the closest town to where I grew up (only a short 6 hour drive, 2 once we moved to "town"), The Merrit Area is also very nice, my one grandparents lived there for a while. Those areas further north are a lot more cowboy country than Kelowna, they're all fruit farmers and wine makers down there (not that that's bad.. there just ain't so many cowboys). Banff is to darn cold for my liking nowadays.

Oregon where I'm at now has some interesting farm/ranch land rules, you have to gross $XXX/acre per year or you can't keep the tax exemption and unless there is an existing dwelling or you gross over (I think) $80k/yr for 3/5 years you're out of luck for building at all.

Im thrilled for you rob.
I also have some sad news for you, regardless of what others might smack me down with.
No matter where you move, anywhere, you will find good people, pleasant, and then you will always find the miserable ones.
I hope whereever you move buddy, you enjoy it, and prosper there.(and make sure you have an extra bedroom for long island visitors)

banff? isnt that way out west? like close to the pacific? gotta go mapquest it.

Last edited:
Congrats! :woohoo:

...But there are some in these population groups that have little respect for the law and are more bent on property prospecting than building a community to live in...

Sounds like the NN may be in for a surprise. :whistling:

The area of LA my house is in has been through several similar demographic changes. The Armenian community is very well established in the area, as are the Persians, but various other Eastern Europeans are making a foothold in the area, too. Many of these groups tend to have strong ties within their own communities, but are pretty insular towards other nationalities. In most cases, they are indeed investing in property, not in "homes".