Evidently I don't speak 'Search Engine'

Ned Bulken

OK Search Engine gurus... help a bruddah out.

How do I phrase the string in the advance search page to search for
an exact string ie: rough lumber
I don't want either rough or lumber, but only the two words together? incidentally I'm only using 'rough lumber' as an example.

The native vBulletin "Advanced Search" bites the wall. I don't even bother trying to use it. Try the little "Custom Search" box instead. It uses Google to search only the Family Woodworking site. And when using that, Don's right...just use quotation marks around the term to narrow down the search.

And you probably already know this, but for anyone reading this who doesn't...

Using "rough lumber" (in quotation marks) will only find pages that have those two words, in that order, with no other words between them:

"We were buying rough lumber at the mill." would be found

"I had a rough time with that lumber." would not be found

Using rough+lumber (with the plus sign) will find pages that include both of the words, in any order, and not necessarily next to each other:

"We were buying rough lumber at the mill." would be found

"I had a rough time with that lumber." would be found

"That lumber was pretty rough." would be found

"We bought lots of lumber." would not be found

The native vBulletin "Advanced Search" bites the wall. I don't even bother trying to use it. Try the little "Custom Search" box instead. It uses Google to search only the Family Woodworking site. And when using that, Don's right...just use quotation marks around the term to narrow down the search.

And you probably already know this, but for anyone reading this who doesn't...

aha, it ISN"T just me... you're spot on, the native search engine stinks.

However that explanation is precisely what I didn't know, thanks Vaughn!

I'll go a step further and add the "site", as in 'rough+lumber site:familywoodworking.org'. This string entered in Googles search field will use Googles engine to search our site for the preceding words/phrase/formula. Don't forget the space between your search criteria and the site designator: 'rough+lumber' <space> 'site:familywoodworking.org'

I'll go a step further and add the "site", as in 'rough+lumber site:familywoodworking.org'. This string entered in Googles search field will use Googles engine to search our site for the preceding words/phrase/formula. Don't forget the space between your search criteria and the site designator: 'rough+lumber' <space> 'site:familywoodworking.org'

Or, just use the Custom Search box that's displayed when you click Advanced Search to get the same thing. ;) Less typing, and no knowledge of syntax necessary. :)