Basic Router Fence?

Ned Bulken

Guys & gals,
my next project now that the shop is 99% clean for the moment is to build a basic router table. I'm pretty good on the table design, going with a simple box I can secure in my newfangled bench. I'm planning on a basic L-shaped fence at least initially. No t-track or similar features, simply something I can guide the workpiece with. Have you built a similar fence? if so, would you mind posting a pic? thanks, need some inspiration here is all.

Have you thought about a fence with the far end pivoting on a pin & you adjust it & clamp the near end. I think Larry has one.

Here are a few shots of mine from Wood Magazine. The only other Rt. fence I have is the one on my $20 dollar Rockler table.

Attachments

• router fence 009.jpg
    router fence 009.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 49
  • router fence 010.jpg
    router fence 010.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 41
  • router fence 011.jpg
    router fence 011.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 41
  • router fence 012.jpg
    router fence 012.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Rockler RT.jpg
    Rockler RT.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Things that complicate a router fence include dust collection and sliding faces. Basic is simply two pieces of plywood glued into the 'L' shape, maybe buttressed from the rear to maintain 90º. Pin one end of the fence to the table, pivot the other and clamp it. Easy peasy. Add dust collection, things get a little more complicated. Tell us what you have in made with regard to fence features desire.

Have you thought about a fence with the far end pivoting on a pin & you adjust it & clamp the near end. I think Larry has one.

Here are a few shots of mine from Wood Magazine. The only other Rt. fence I have is the one on my $20 dollar Rockler table.

Bart, thanks, I think that's more the fence for the 'big table', I'll keep it in mind though!

Things that complicate a router fence include dust collection and sliding faces. Basic is simply two pieces of plywood glued into the 'L' shape, maybe buttressed from the rear to maintain 90º. Pin one end of the fence to the table, pivot the other and clamp it. Easy peasy. Add dust collection, things get a little more complicated. Tell us what you have in made with regard to fence features desire.

Simple is exactly what I'm thinking... I might even have something already glued up that I will use in the short term. I would just have to clean it up a bit. I don't have a shop vac (well I do, but it basically is on it's last legs), so Dust collection for me while routing is 'sweep up afterwards'.

I'll put up pics later, the table is on the fast track this week, Might take me a couple of days, but I'll get'er done.