Air Compressor

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Well, not a NEW tool but I don't know where else to post this.

My air compressor is failing. Today it started popping its dedicated breaker. The breaker is new and the wire size is ample. The compressor was very well used when I first got it, maybe 20 years ago. I have rebuilt it once, about 8 years ago. Needed new reeds and general cleaning. It is an oil model. Can't GIVE me an oil less model. It is also the size of which is very difficult to find in an oil model. Complicated by the fact I do not want, nor need, a behemoth of a machine. The tank appears to be fine, I keep it drained but then it has always lived in a very dry climate. That helps.

So. Choices. Replace the compressor head only? Might be doable from McMaster Carr or Enco, Try to find another model like it? Been watching CL for years. No joy. A new one has been illusive as well.

Another complication is that I will be reducing my shop drastically in the near future. Some tools will be on the sale block. But I cannot imagine life without an air compressor. So size is an issue, and the old one is the right size.

So tell me what else I should be considering.

well carol you havnt told us what size this one is that your looking to fix or replace..? kinda hard to make suggestions if we dont have the info on what you want:)

Took a hard look just for Larry. It is Campbell Hausfeld 20 gallon tank with a Chicago Electric 2 HP dual voltage motor running on 110V. It lasted so long I thought it was better than that! It doesn't owe me a dime.

What would you get to replace the whole thing?

I had a similar problem when my compressor died. So like you I thought I would replace the compressor on the old unit. Number one it takes some looking to find a compatible compressor to match your motor and existing sheaves to get the right rpms. Number two even though you can't believe it, a complete new unit will be cheaper than just replacing the compressor alone. I was dumfounded at this. So I did end up buying a new complete unit. Up side was that I now had a motor which now does other duties and a portable tank.

Could be a pressure relief valve (that's the one that makes the his when you shut it off) is bad. If the head is still under pressure when starting it takes a lot more amps to start and could blow the breaker, especially on 110.

I'm of a mind to be thinking "motor problem". I don't believe your comp. pump will be your problem, even if the reed valves and rings were bad. Those might make it run longer, but with less work for that motor. How hot does the motor get when you are running it? If it's getting too hot to put your hand on it, this may be your problem. More heat causes more amp draw. If (when) you replace the motor, try for a 220 volt unit. (Hopefully you can supply the higher voltage to the comp.) It just draws lower amperage to each circuit and general lower amp draw is usually less heating. Maybe you could even try the higher voltage on your present motor to see how that works.

But, Carol, I really don't think your pump is the culprit, unless something is really wrong inside and it's beginning to seize up on you. My compressor is a 1921 DeVillbiss unit, on its third motor and still pumping strong and quietly too.

Aloha.

What Tony and Fred say makes sense. If it's using run capacitors, as they go bad will cause the coils to heat and use more amps, may be worth looking at either running as 220 or replacing the cap.