What do you call this?

Jeff Horton

My favorite turning tool. Never seen one quite like it in the catalogs and really don't know what you would call it. I don't think it is scraper but sort of looks like one. All I know is I can HOG off more material with it than my Gouges and I can also do fine cuts with it. Not finish cuts though. It will leave a nice finish, it's just quick to take a chunk out. Probably because you can't really ride the bevel on this to easy. Maybe if the bottom was ground round you could?

Hummm hadn't thought of that before. That would be easy to make.

tool1.jpg tool2.jpg

Jeff

Interesting. I always read where people talk about the drudgery of shaping bowl with a scraper. (usually talking about before they discovered bowl gouges) Yet I find I can do more quicker with this than bowl gouge. That's why I wondered if this was a scraper. I often times use this for turning square blanks into round blanks and shaping and all but the final finishing because I can do such heavy cuts with it.

I have a scraper that has a blade about 1/4" thick and I can't do any heavy work with it like I can this one. I guess the thicker blade makes the difference. Thanks for the info.

That there would be the simple round nose scraper, I too prefer it to the bowl gouge for rapid removal of dry waste in a bowl, Most basic of all the lathe tools both for spindle & faceplate turning. (perhaps I haven't mastered the grind of the bowl gouge or just too old fashioned to change)

Yours looks a bit pitted on the sides and a deep facited bevel grind. That Henry Taylor tool is a round nose scraper with a champhered edge on the sides. Save yourself $43 bucks and grind a champher on your basic scraper.