It's Friday! 7/27 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Not got a lot planned this weekend. Probably heading over to the restore to look at tile for the master bath and may start some demo.

My nephew is leaving for college next week, so my mom and dad want to get everyone together for Sunday dinner.

What's everyone else got going?

I might get into the shop this weekend for the first time in weeks. I've been working with our church and another group to do a lot of video recording and editing, and building two web sites. It has taken all my free time for weeks. BUT - I have two dining room tables to build by the end of September, so I better get the shop in order soon I just ordered 150 bf of Brazilian Cherry.:eek:

rennie, give brent a call, hes a whiz at dining room tables.

brent, luv ya man.

He shoots! He scores! :rofl:

Not much planned here. Errands to run, sleep to catch up on...the usual. I'm planning to get out to the range to sight in my new old rifle, but other than that, it looks like it'll be a quiet weekend around here.

Just got back from the lumber dealer. Need to make some flag display boxes. Working on some ideas.

Picked up some nice Cherry ($4.23bf), rift sawn walnut ($7.99bf) and rift sawn red oak ($2.77bf).

Not bad looking wood. Was planning on using cherry for the boxes, but saw the walnut so had to get that. Thought the Red Oak would be nice to practice with.

But got a lot of other chores around the place to attend to, so we'll see how much shop time I'm going to get.

(I'm ignoring Frik and Frak :gonnagetit:)

Shop time all weekend. Since I delivered my last project I put together a list if things I want to make for the shop plus some improvements. It's almost 3 pages long :eek:

We finally had a bit of rain last night and today so I'm sure I'll be cutting the grass this weekend too.

The broccoli and brussell sprouts in the garden are over run with green caterpillars. I've tried 2 different organic bug killers and so far all it has done is attract more caterpillars :doh: I think that they are doing shots with the stuff :( It's like the bug version of "tour de Wood" :rofl::rofl: I picked up some good old fashioned insect dust today. So I'm sure the wife will be out there tomorrow ending their party.

The broccoli and brussell sprouts in the garden are over run with green caterpillars. I've tried 2 different organic bug killers and so far all it has done is attract more caterpillars :doh: I think that they are doing shots with the stuff :( It's like the bug version of "tour de Wood" :rofl::rofl: I picked up some good old fashioned insect dust today. So I'm sure the wife will be out there tomorrow ending their party.

Always had very good luck with BT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis . We get the tomato hornworms out here real bad. While I find the moth that comes from them to be very interesting, I don't find them interesting enough to sacrifice my tomato crop...

Brent,
Your comment brought back a memory from many years ago.

Parents planted tomatoes. Children got the "chore" of keeping the hornworms out of the goodie patch.

Kids, being kids, taught the dog to gulp the worms. Worked like a charm.

Sort'a like Huckleberry Finn, or was it Tom Sawyer, and whitewashing the wood fence.

Enjoy,

JimB

well it sure is amazing brent when we have so much info on the net that they can have major mis information as well.. in the link you gave us showing the pics there is a pic part way down under the blue castle ruler that says its a horn worm moth that is dying but in reality its a polymus moth that is just emerging and its wings havnt fully unfolded:

well it sure is amazing brent when we have so much info on the net that they can have major mis information as well.. in the link you gave us showing the pics there is a pic part way down under the blue castle ruler that says its a horn worm moth that is dying but in reality its a polymus moth that is just emerging and its wings havnt fully unfolded:
It's almost like anyone can just put up a web site and put anything they want on it! :rofl:

I think that page was for a kids class somewhere and they were trying to figure out what kind of moth it was.

Headed home to Arizona for a few days. Can't wait! Have a contractor coming to take care of some roof work. Gonna sit on the porch, watch the squirrels and enjoy the trees.

Darren, nothing that earth shattering...
haul.jpg

Just a couple of DC fittings from woodcraft for a project down the road, plus a couple of spring clamps for connecting DC hose to 4" outlets.
dcstuff.jpg

And I'm going to be replacing the shop built cart under my planer with a cabinet that will hold my squirrel cage air filter. The wheels on the cart are pretty pitiful, so I stopped at HF and picked up a set of 3" wheels, plus a pair of ear plugs
HFstuff.jpg

after staining up face frames this morning, I was about to go out and start preparing the cabinet boxes for spraying, but decided I never spend much time with the wife anymore, so we spent 3 hours going to local tag/estate/garage sales.
My wife loves to just look at all the palatial homes, there are some beauties, and ofcourse, some of them look like they havent been touched for 40 years and if I leaned on a wall, the house would come down.

could not find any good buys, hoping to find some old planes,chisels, drawknives, spokeshaves, to bring along to larrys if anyone wanted to tune them up for themselves.
Ill keep looking.

I didn't answer on Friday because we didn't have any firm plans, so we went to a Blue Jays game on Friday (they won!) and Saturday I slept in, then started to work on my neighbour's pierogie board (q.v.) Finished that this afternoon after church, then made some bench dogs, which I put to use holding a piece of cedar down while |I figured out that little rabbett plane that I bought in March and posted about then. Successfully made a small (1/8" x 1/2") rabbett in a piece of cedar. Iron needs to be honed a mite yet, but I've got it figured out.

Tomorrow I'm going to Welland to buy a BNIB Stanley 220 block plane for $15. That plane is $40 at Lee Valley, and I've been thinking of getting one for some time.

Cut apart the side of the metal cabinet under my spindle/disk sander so I can turn it into a door and put some shelves in there. Welded up a backing plate to put behind the door when its on as a stop (not much of a welder, but I can grind with the best of them) and painted that all up. I'll try to get some pictures take later to post.

Today we took a hike up to a waterfall on Mt Hood and stopped at my friends brewery in Parkdale on the way back for a burger and a beer.

Picked up 20lbs of apricots and racked 5 gallons of our clubs sour beer onto it (kind of like Cantillon Fou' Foune, but I seriously doubt mine will be that good.. we'll see in about 5 months :D).