Fancy Firewood

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
For the first week of my recent stay in LA, I got a little shop time. I finished a couple of pieces that I'd rough turned before I left, and also turned a few from start to finish. I finally got a few photos processed of the first one. This is from a load of box elder I got out of a buddy's firewood pile. I explained to him that the box elder wouldn't burn worth a darn, and that I had a pickup load of oak that I'd be willing to trade. (The oak was way too checked to turn.) It was a winning trade for both of us.

This one is about 10" or so in diameter, and probably about half that in height. (I didn't measure it before I came back to NM, and it stayed in LA because my wife put her dibs on it.) I turned it relatively thin when it was wet. It warped a fair amount, so the mouth is a bit oval and I didn't go to heroic efforts to true up the inside when I finished it. Finish is wet sanded spray can lacquer, buffed and waxed with Renaissance wax.

Felt good to get back into the shop after being away for 7 months.

VM 1032-800-1.jpg

VM 1032-800-2.jpg

VM 1032-800-3.jpg

VM 1032-800-4.jpg

VM 1032-800-5.jpg

VM 1032-800-6.jpg

C&C welcome as always...

I was lucky enough to hold it in my hands and view it up close. Great photos but I must say that despite Vaughn's excellent photographic skills, this piece looks far more fantastic when you hold it in your hands.

Gotta say your firewood is a lot fancier than my firewood :rofl:

The flame racing stripe really does make the piece, gorgeous wood!

The form has kind of a southwestern water vase feel to it. Based on that.. it may be the angle on the pictures but it seems maybe a little bottom heavy, like if the mid point was closer to center or if the center of the top was "lifted" a little it would imho look more balanced. Its totally subjective and that's about the only C&C I could come up with :D

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, guys. :thumb: And Barry, you didn't let me down. :D

Will the red color fade over time?

It'll turn brownish red if it's exposed to UV rays. I've got a few flame box elder pieces that were turned 4 or 5 years ago, and the ones that have been out of direct sunlight are still holding onto the red coloring pretty well.

Man its a treat to see you getting back at it. Wish that telecomuting comes along soon. Then people best guard their firewood when u around. :)
Gooooood photograpy too.

@Larry....Manitoba Maple huh...i best get to learning that.:)
Seems like every thing here is maple or maple.:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2