flap sander

Frank Fusco

I am soon going to be needing a good flap sander. It will be used to take the rough spots off of gunstocks after I shape them on my Terrco. This Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8749 would do the job just fine, or similar items from other companies. My problem is that I have run out of space in the shop for more standing equipment. I would like to mount the wide flapper on my lathe for this operation. I wrote to Grizzly but whoever replied didn't give a satisfactory response as to whether the flapper could be so mounted.
Anyone here familiar with this item? Is what I want to do a practical concept?

Presumably, no one wants to sell you just the flappy bit, prefering to try to get you to buy the whole thing? I think your idea is actually a lot better than theirs, as in a lathe you'll have a lot more controll over how aggressive the cut is and be able to reduce burning problems, both by varying the speed.

The only similar things I've seen are much smaller, intended for use in a hand-held drill. There are centrifically expanding rubber drums available for lapidary use, but they may still be more rigid than what you want. Metal finishing supplier maybe?

I would like to mount the wide flapper on my lathe for this operation..
Anyone here familiar with this item? Is what I want to do a practical concept?

Yes is it practial.
On web search yesterday saw where a guy made one and had made his own flapper's and located between centers on this lathe.

Do a Google search for home-made flappers or something like that. If I had a lathe would go that route.

Frank, have you seen the Sanding Mop? I've seen the demos, and they look good. More importantly, I've spoken to a few people I respect who also speak highly of it. Mounts in your drill press.

I currently have one of this, about 2" wide, mounted on an old grinder motor.
Very handy for many things but not as stout as I'll need for the gunstocks. I'd be concerned about putting sideways pressure on the drill press spindle. Dunno if that would be a problem. I'm not a machine or engineering savvy guy, just a concern about using something in a manner it wasn't designed for.

I'm not a machine or engineering savvy guy, just a concern about using something in a manner it wasn't designed for.

Frank, worked in machine shop for 20 years. You are right
I would not use my drill press in the manner that is suggested.

A leith would work wonders. Attempted to find that setup where the guy had it mounted between centers on his lathe. Lathe have better bearings and if you think about it
they have side way pressure put on them all the time.

Will look again to see if I can find setup this guy had.:thumb:

I would like to mount the wide flapper on my lathe for this operation.

FOUND IT.......whew, you owe me a coffee.

flap2.jpg

Here is the website
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/i-flpsnd.htm

:wave: :wave: :thumb: :wave: :thumb:

frank, a company called wolfs-head? is the mop sander head manufacturer i`m accostomed with.....here`s a link i googled....some vendor i`ve never used, about half way down the page....tod

http://www.sandpaperamerica.com/flapwheels.htm

Those are impressive. But the wheel alone costs about $100.00 more than the complete unit with motor, drum sander and flapper from....you know who...;)
I was looking around the shop yesterday and believe that by rearranging a couple things, I might have a space for the complete unit on a stand.