Pierogie board

Roger Tulk

I had never heard of a pierogie board, but my neighbour's wife, who is of Ukrainian descent, asked me last year if I could make one. She showed me a picture, and I slowly got started on it. You wouldn't think it would take that long, but with work, other projects, winter, health issues and necessities for SWMBO, as well as my inexperience with rabbett joints, I wrapped it up today, finished it with mineral oil, and took it over to her. She was over the Moon about it. Thinks it's wonderful. Her husband says that I got more hugs and kisses from her than he'd had all week. Anyway, next time I have to make a rabbett joint, it will go quickly. I have a feeling some of her relatives are going to ask me for one.

The board is a birch panel that I purchased ready made. The cleats at the end, which keep the board against the counter, are cherry.Glued together, no hardware.

Pierogie1.jpgPierogie2.jpg

Lessons learned: use a good router bit, not a cheap one; think really hard about the reason the joint isn't fitting, it may not be what you assume is wrong; relax, you can do it over if it doesn't come out right the first time.

Huh, cool idea never seen one of those.

Google searched it and found some interesting rolling pins for cutting them out as well. Some of the special purpose tool items people use are interesting

Do you now get homemade pierogis ?

Nice looking board Roger. What is the purpose of the top lip? I assume the bottom one keeps the board from sliding by catching the edge of the surface under it. Is the one on top just so you can flip the board and use either side?

Nice looking board Roger. What is the purpose of the top lip? I assume the bottom one keeps the board from sliding by catching the edge of the surface under it. Is the one on top just so you can flip the board and use either side?

Yep, that's exactly what it's for.

Oh, she's promised to invite me to dinner this week, and to make about five dozen pierogies for me to freeze and enjoy when my family comes over.

Cool board Roger great idea, i actually need to make something like that for my wife. Seems to me it would also be handy for rolling pizza dough. Enjoy the homemade perogies. :thumb: Gotta be nice to have a neighbor like that.

Looks great, Roger. :thumb:

Lessons learned: use a good router bit, not a cheap one; think really hard about the reason the joint isn't fitting, it may not be what you assume is wrong; relax, you can do it over if it doesn't come out right the first time.

Good lessons for just about any project. :thumb:

They are great neighbours. The husband came over and mowed my lawn for me after my first heart attack until I felt better. We're a tight little group on our cul-de-sac.

Our cul-de-sac is similar. Good neighbors looking out for and helping each other. Dave and Jeannette, the retired couple across the cul-de-sac from our house, have essentially adopted my wife as a daughter in my absence, and Dave has handled several handyman emergencies that I would have been dealing with if I'd been there. On the other side of the coin, my wife has provided Jeannette with a lot of support in dealing with moving her mom to a nursing home, since it's a road my wife has been down herself. ;)

Every thing makes sense except that I still don't know what a Pie Orgy is. [h=2]Pierogie board Even spelled this way, I don't know what it is. I'm guessing it is something that a gluten intolerent person cannot come within ten feet of.[/h]
Enjoy,

Glenn's Dad

OOooopss, that is JimB

It's a pasta pocket stuffed with anything from apricot to zucchini. My neighbour is going to make som mushroom, onion and bacon ones for me. Cheese and potato is pretty good, too. they are pretty much bite size.

Take over a bunch of blueberries. These are just about good enough to be called a dessert! My favorite.

Mike