So easy.... yet took so long

Tom Baugues

I have learned something about myself.....everytime I "put off" a project, it's simply because I don't know what to do or how to get started.
I bought one of these articulating arm lamps at a garage sale a few years ago. It was the kind that was made to set on a desk. Well the one I bought did not have the base, which was OK with me because I wanted to somehow mount it on a wall to use over my lathe. Today the light bulb (in my head) went off and I set out to get this thing mounted. I sat down with pencil and paper and drew up a plan that I thought would work and even wrote out detailed instructions for myself to follow. I went out to the shop and got started.
Here is atutoriall on how I did it: Cut a block of wood....drill a hole in it....screw it to the wall.

That's it....three years waiting for an idea on how to mount this thing and thats all it took. I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed.
Anyway. I thought I would pass this along because it actually works quite well and I see these lamps at sales all the time for less than $1.00. Mine was $0.50.
100_0832 (Small).JPG I cut it out of a piece of 2x6 I had laying in the shop
100_0834 (Small).JPG I drilled a 3/4 inch hole and inserted a brass bushing
100_0838 (Small).JPG I screwed it to the wall and set the lamp into bushing
100_0835 (Small).JPG Lamp will swivel and lift up and down
100_0837 (Small).JPG This will make a great light over my lathe

Well, third. I had three articulated lamps some time ago. I gave them all away, two of them to patients, the other to a friend. Wish I had the two back.

Well that last sentence kills my image as a charitable giver.

The lamp will really help you with the lathe. Speaking of the lathe; what are the 7 wooden tools in the upper right part of the pic?

I don't call my lathe dirty. However, yours is squeaky clean!!! I clean mine regularly, there is no rust, paint, nicks, etc. I even think Glenn would call it clean. However, compared to yours it is dirty.

Enjoy,

JimB

Well, third. I had three articulated lamps some time ago. I gave them all away, two of them to patients, the other to a friend. Wish I had the two back.

Well that last sentence kills my image as a charitable giver.

The lamp will really help you with the lathe. Speaking of the lathe; what are the 7 wooden tools in the upper right part of the pic?

I don't call my lathe dirty. However, yours is squeaky clean!!! I clean mine regularly, there is no rust, paint, nicks, etc. I even think Glenn would call it clean. However, compared to yours it is dirty.

Enjoy,

JimB

Jim, my lathe usually isnt that clean either. I usually have it sitting on another bench however now that I have this handy, dandy light. I moved it over to the work bench where I'll have a better set-up. The wooden parts you see in the picture are wine bottle holders that I have made for an up coming craft booth that I do each year. These are easy to make with little cost so I thought I would make a few of them to sell. Mine are a little different from the photo but work the same.
Bottle_Stand_a__Tulipwood__Display_with_Bottle_02__web_640.jpg

That looks like it'll work great, Tom. :thumb: The brass bushing is a nice extra touch.

Years ago I had a similar lamp missing the base. I ended up just drilling a hole in the desk to accept the stem part of the lamp, and it worked well for years.