Basic repair

Bass sick repair...so my nephew brought back my bass I lent him a while back, he bought a new to him one, and sent mine back in a 'new to me' style :bang:
serves me right, he asked if he could add some stickers, & make some changes, intonation, string height etc. Well for some reason he thought cutting off the upper horn/arm would look cool or be easier to play, I really have no idea{again :bang:}
here's the culprit & his 'handy' work :rolleyes: mini-1.JPG

Well, I finally got around to attempting a fix...
mini-2.jpgmini-3.jpgmini-4.jpgmini-5.jpgmini-6.jpg

Not too sure if I did any better than he :rofl: but it was a good learning experience for a future build someday...cleaned up nice though, now I need to go pick-up some new strings & re-install my Guitar Rig app and thump out some noise :D

Couldn't resist adding the hillbilly bling :D...hat pins
mini-7.jpg

I like the new body, Ken. :thumb: The little curliecues on the horns are a neat touch.

If one of my nephews returned a guitar with the body hacked like that, I'm afraid there'd be a killin'.
gonnagetit.gif
Years ago I gave (not loaned) one of my guitars to a nephew. I gave it to him under the condition that he never put stickers on it. To this day the guitar is sticker-free. :D

So you're tellin' me this goof thought it would be POK to cut up a borrowed musical instrument!?! Nice fix. Bad nephew.

Thanks guys, Here's a shot of the other {left} half of the slab this came from, barely had enough due to the curling/lifting you can see in the lower right corner...
mini-pix 063.jpg

I could also use some tip's on finishing, one-how do you folks fill the pores in walnut? And second, any tips on avoiding sanding through the lacquer finish on edges{as seen below}...
mini-pix 073.jpg

Just another shot as the first ones didn't give a good over-all straight-on look{I blame that on you photo experts inspiring lost causes like me :rofl:}
mini-pix 071.jpg

Glenn, this goof is from the misses side :rofl:{though I have a quite a few from my side} and the only male to boot, he thinks he's perfect :doh::D
I'm almost sure he didn't get it from either side, gotta be an alien off-shoot, you know how some teens can be/act :huh: :D

Oh boy I cannot believe what kids can get up to. I am scared to think what i would have done to him.

But on the other hand, had he not done this, you would not have had the opportunity to do such a great fix, so in a weird Alien sense:rofl: he had you show us more of your talent and skill at fixing things.;):thumb::D

Great piece of wood.

As to your issue on the egdes dont you think your edges are still rather sharp. I have no clue just thinking aloud and thinking a bigger radius would surely make for better surface area to build up finish.

Looking forward to hopefully hearing this baby play a tune at Larrys place next month.:thumb::D

Good of you to forgive him, and I think you've improved upon it greatly. That looks really quite nice Ken:thumb:

...I could also use some tip's on finishing, one-how do you folks fill the pores in walnut?...

There are several brands of wood fillers made just for that purpose. You spread the stuff on, work it into the pores, let it dry, then sand smooth. Here's a quiks article:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/finishes/filling-grain-for-perfect-finishing/

...And second, any tips on avoiding sanding through the lacquer finish on edges...

Don't sand so much on the edges. :D Seriously, Rob's suggestion for larger radiuses is a good one, but whenever I'm sanding a lacquer finish, I'm particularly careful around tricky parts like corners and edges. Also, are you sanding wet or dry? I find I have fewer occasions of going through the finish when I wet sand (typically with 600 grit paper). Most often, after just a few strokes, I can hear a change in the sound of the paper going across the finish. When I hear the change, I know the orange peel is gone and it's time to move on to another spot.

Thanks guys, I do/did use the wet sanding, & Thanks for the link Vaughn, I've never had much luck with the store bought fillers matching in a natural look/way. Larry mentioned that a few more coats of lacquer would suffice instead of filler, & possibly using a shellac base would help as well. I'll have to remember that!
I messed myself up when I routed the recess for the electronics...little too close to the edge which hampered any chance at rounding over :doh: Live & learn eh.

Not much chance of hearing me play if I make it to Larry's shin-dig Rob, it's easy posting up a diddy but a whole nuther story playing in front of folks...besides, I'm sure everyone wants to enjoy the get together, not suffer thru the pains I could cause playing or singing :rofl:

Ken, love the new design. :thumb: Hope it's got a good sound to it.

Thanks Darren, Bass sounds way better than I make it out :eek::rofl:
Never realized how stiff my fretting hand looks :bang:

Here's a little taste, though keep in mind I'm playing thru the line-in on the pc, output to a set of mini desktop speakers and the recording was thru an ancient
Panasonic vhs-c camcorder, then ran thru a convertor to digitize it and compressed from about 110MB down to 14 or so...in other words, my playing sux :rofl:

Video link

:headbang::guitar::clap:

Ken sounded great you certainly are a man of many talents. I have utmost admiration for anyone that can make music on anything. Best i have been able to muster in my whole life is the first few bars of chopstix on a piano. :eek::D:thumb:

Gotta love a good walking bass on a blues riff! speaking as a 'Reed' man (Saxaphone, fill in the variety) I have always been amazed at guitar players. My left hand simply wouldn't be able to do the fretwork. Same with pianists, and I admire anyone who plays either one.

I guess that the positive learnings from this are two. First you've learnt not to lend him anything at all. Second you've learnt more ww skills that will use in other projects.
Great result BTW!

PS. Maybe you should borrow his and give it back to him full of holes that you made in order to make it "lighter" what he would think then?