Started Cutting Some Pen Blanks - Continued ...................

Les Elm

From a piece of Whale bone.
Cut blanks for a Prefect Fit which I'm waiting on fittings for and 2 for Sierra's.

DSC09209.jpg

Over-turned a Sierra blank 0.0001", filled the small voids with Med CA, built up enough Med CA to turn down to match the fittings, sanded to 400x, buffed with super fine steel wool and polished with Huts Ultra Gloss.
Dressed up the Whale Bone in a Black Titanium/Titanium Gold Elegant Beauty.

Les

DSC09269.jpg

DSC09271.jpg

DSC09274.jpg

DSC09278.jpg

Your work is always impressive!!!

I am guessing whale bone falls under the CITIES treaty (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) and requires a whole host of permits to possess, sell, and export. How difficult is it to obtain the proper permits to be legal?

Your work is always impressive!!!

I am guessing whale bone falls under the CITIES treaty (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) and requires a whole host of permits to possess, sell, and export. How difficult is it to obtain the proper permits to be legal?

Barry,

Apparently it is illegal to posses whale bone in the US.

In Canada, CITES is administered by Environment Canada and is implemented under WAPPRIITA. (The Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Inter-provincial Trade Act)
As it was explained to me by an WAPRIIT official several years ago, it is not illegal for a Canadian citizen to be in possession of Canadian whale bone without a permit.

It is illegal however to export Canadian whale bone which includes shipping by air, sea and rail,
by mail and courier, and in personal luggage.

Les

Thanks Les. It is not necessarily illegal in the US, but it does require proper permits. Exceptions abound as usual, and Alaska natives can legally harvest marine mammals such as whales in certain areas.

I'm more familiar with British Columbia laws and assumed this applied Canada-wide. Obviously I was mistaken.

"Marine Mammal Transportation License

By authority of the Marine Mammal Regulations of the Fisheries Act, a marine mammal transportation licence (MMTL) is required for the transport across provincial and territorial boundaries of marine mammals, live or dead, whole or parts, worked bone/ivory, skin and tissue samples, blood samples, etc. This requirement applies only to marine mammals of Canadian origin, i.e., whales, seals, sea otters, sea lions and walrus. Polar bears are not considered marine mammals for the purposes of these regulations.

At the discretion of a DFO authority, an MMTL may be required for transport within a province and/or territory, and/or for export of non-CITES listed marine mammals, and/or for import of Canadian-origin marine mammals. In general, when a marine mammal part is leaving the client’s possession, an MMTL is needed.

There may be territorial or provincial requirements for transport of marine mammals over and above the Marine Mammal Regs. It is the transporter’s responsibility to ensure the receiving territory or province’s requirements are met. "

Pretty cool pen, has a nice graceful elegance about it.

I have to ask based on some previous experiences cutting bone for drawer pulls (cow bone actually..). Does whale bone stink as bad as other bone when you cut it?