How I spent my holiday weekend...

Roger Tulk

LOML decided she wanted the bottom step of the front porch extended a little. So, Friday night I framed up an extension at the height of the first step. Felt very good about it, as it was level and all the joints were tight. She comes home from bingo at about 10, and tells me she wanted it half a step high, because we have older people visiting and she thinks that first step is too high. So, Saturday I took it all apart, and for the cooler parts of the next three days set about ripping 5½" boards into 1 5/8" stringers so I could make a low enough step and then building the extension with a lot of foul words to myself, and SWMBO coming out occasionally to make sure I was doing it right. I don't know what she'd say if I did the same thing to her when she's sewing up a jacket for me, but I'll bet it would be choice.

Anyway, here's the final product, construction grade spruce. I laid the deck planking opposite to the original planking to provide a bit more visual interest, and because it was easier to do that way. ;) My son graciously leant me his chop saw. I don't want one, but it's great for a construction project.

Extendporch.jpg

Looks good, Roger. Although I respectfully disagree with your wife (half steps can be more dangerous than whole steps if people aren't expecting them), you did a good job of delivering what the customer ordered. :thumb:

+1 on half-step hazards (sorry, I have to pause on them even when I know they're there). Extension looks nice. Contrasting direction does add visual interest.