Update on the house remodelling project

Chris Mul

As promised a progress update on the remodelling project

We are working on the 1st floor which originally was 5 bedroom and 2 bathrooms. (one was an en-suite) Now with the extensions added on both sides of the building we will convert that into 4 bedroom suites – all bedroom suites will have there own dressing and bath room.

We tackled the most difficult one first

To create this bedroom and dressing room we had to take out 5 walls, block up 2 windows and break through into the side extension.

Here were originally the two bathrooms, airing cupboard and separate WC located, therefore a lot of pipe work- (I mean a lot of pipe work) had to be removed / taken out of the floor

Untitled by mcluma, on Flickr

Here we had to rip up the floor to get to all the pipe work- which became obsolete when we took out the old bathrooms and airing cupboard

This is the amount of copper we took out of the floor

And the old water heater

Which gave us a nice open room, we also found above the ceiling some unused space which we converted in to a vaulted ceiling. We had now enough experience on how to fit a Velux window so we put another one of these windows in. It just adds a bit more character to the room. The same for the exposed brick wall

Here we will fit the double doors which give access to the dressing room

And a look into the En-suite bathroom

Hope you enjoyed the tour

Chris

Looking good, and I agree with Stu on both counts. Tearing into an old building like that is an adventure at every turn, huh?

[Edit to add...]

And I learned a new term. I'd never heard of an airing cupboard. :thumb:

Chris, around here the thieves would have removed that copper for you. A pile laying like that could even disappear in broad daylight. Like others, a ton of work, more to go, wish I had that drive right now. Thanks for the tour, look forward to more updates!

Now with the extensions added on both sides of the building we will convert that into 4 bedroom suites – all bedroom suites will have there own dressing and bath room.

Wow, Chris, that is a huge job. And you're right, a lot of pipes!

Is this going to be a B+B with all those bedroom suites?

Chris, around here the thieves would have removed that copper for you. A pile laying like that could even disappear in broad daylight. Like others, a ton of work, more to go, wish I had that drive right now. Thanks for the tour, look forward to more updates!

That disappearing act happens here as well, but that is mostly done by “travellers”