Cardboard Recycling Station

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, this is the first of the 'rudimentary' projects I mentioned in the Friday thread.

Sharon was commenting on the amount of cardboard that seems to pile up out by the garbage cans and suggested that we come up with a way of handling them so that the boxes just didn't wait around until I decided to break them down and bundle them up before I took them to Recycling.

I had made a couple of door holder jigs for when I was redoing all the doors in our hallway. Basically just a couple of cutouts in some plywood with a base that would hold the doors vertical. She thought I could enlarge that concept to make something I could use to store broken down boxes in until it was time to bundle them up and haul them off.

So this is what we came up with. I had some nasty old 2x4's laying around, so I planed them up and slapped it together.

Got to try it out and it works well. Makes much tighter and neater bundles than I ever made before.

FWW-6744.jpg
FWW-6747.jpg

Pretty cool :thumb:, my sister & I were just talking about this the other day...she runs a vending route and the empty box accumulation each week can be brutal...we were wondering at the time if someone makes a shredder that would handle cardboard {folded/doubled over, broken down etc} sad to say I forgot all about seeing what I could find out for her :eek: she 's young, she'll adjust :rofl: Hmmm, wonder if they could be shredded, how they would do added to the compost pile :dunno:

Anyways...that looks like a winner to me Brent!

That's a great idea. I've got a half dozen boxes out in the garage that we've piled up for just in-case we need to ship something. Makes sense to store them that way.

They can totally be shredded, and in fact, are supposed to be great for vermicomposting. I just dont have my worm bed ready quite yet.

Once I get the worm bin ready, I'll try running them through the chipper shredder, but I'm pretty sure you can just cut the cardboard into strips and the worms would do their work on it.

This will just help to make sure we reduce the amount of hillbilly our home looks like... :D

Just thinking aloud but something that would concertina with a lever and hinge would help add to compressing and holding them in place when there are only a couple and the wind blows.

Kinda thinking of the rams they have in the compactors.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

So, this is the first of the 'rudimentary' projects I mentioned in the Friday thread.

Sharon was commenting on the amount of cardboard that seems to pile up out by the garbage cans and suggested that we come up with a way of handling them so that the boxes just didn't wait around until I decided to break them down and bundle them up before I took them to Recycling.

View attachment 69646

Brent, in all seriousness, that's a great solution!

however, I gotta be me...

so, if you add a top will that hold a turkey in November too?

Just thinking aloud but something that would concertina with a lever and hinge would help add to compressing and holding them in place when there are only a couple and the wind blows.

Kinda thinking of the rams they have in the compactors.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I thought about that, but actually just doing a double wrap of the jute and pulling it tight did a good job of compressing the boxes.

so, if you add a top will that hold a turkey in November too?

Ohh boy. I've got a couple of other projects taking precedence, but I will get back to it one of these days.

Here's how I recycle any cardboard boxes I come across. No clutter and I spread it across the lawn when it needs to be emptied.
001 (800 x 601).jpg