Compressor Silencers

...The decibel reduction from some of the stats {5 -10} I've read, wouldn't be worth the trouble in my book...just my opi :thumb:...

Reducing the volume by 10 dB is perceived by the human ear as cutting the volume in half. If you weren't hearing much difference, I'm guessing the stats came from the marketing department. Sorta like a 2.5 HP router. ;)

Reducing the volume by 10 dB is perceived by the human ear as cutting the volume in half. If you weren't hearing much difference, I'm guessing the stats came from the marketing department. Sorta like a 2.5 HP router. ;)

My understanding is that a 3db reduction is perceived as half - so that marketing department may have been workin' overtime to come up with a 10db cut - either way, it'd certainly be noticeable if the claims were even remotely near the truth :)

I had one of those silencers on my last compressor - a 2 hp "Speedaire" from Grainger. The 'silencer' also came from Grainger. It was pretty much the same thing as a paper filter for a gas engine, enclosed in a metal housing. I never thought it did much for lowering the sound. The compressor was still very loud. I did like the idea of the replaceable filter element, though.