got my motor.....but..........

I use a spray on dry lube for things where dust in involved. The dust still gets on everything, but it doesn't create a greasy, woody glue.

.... I'll need a male plug to my lathe box. Those are more expensive than someone quoted. It will be about $35.00. I'll shop for a switch today and call a friend for back up assistance. Final report later.

30 Amp 250 volt Locking Plug L6-30P is $19.18 from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2621-Locking-Industrial-Grounding/dp/B00002NARX

20 Amp 250 volt Locking Plug L6-20P is $13.28 from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-2321-...ie=UTF8&qid=1344976310&sr=1-1&keywords=l6-20p

15 Amp 250 volt non-locking (often used for large window air conditioners) NEMA 6-15P is $8.99 http://www.amazon.com/Powertronics-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1344976546&sr=1-2&keywords=6-15p

If your local store wants $35, I would order from Amazon!

For the machine switch, see This one from Amazon for $2.98. I used one of those on my radial arm saw for years - not the pretty type with red plastic but it works fine. (Listed as 20 amps 120 volts, but read the fine print - also 15 amps 250 volts). You need a DPST switch, but a DPDT may be more readily available, and you will just use half of it.
http://www.amazon.com/DPST-Heavy-Duty-Toggle-Switch/dp/B001TJ2X8S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Hope that helps!

Frank, don't forget that with this new motor you are doubling your rpms and this will double your blade speed (unless this was already addressed and I missed it). I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with my blade running twice as fast. But that's just me.

Frank, don't forget that with this new motor you are doubling your rpms and this will double your blade speed (unless this was already addressed and I missed it). I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with my blade running twice as fast. But that's just me.

Hi Billy. Yes, discussed. The 3450 is the reccomended blade speed for a table saw, I'm told. I'm also getting 4X the power. It should cut. :eek:

I understand, my friend, but here is my concern. If the old 1725 rpm motor is stepped 2 to 1 (motor pulley twice as big as arbor pulley) and you use the original pulleys, you will spin the blade at 6900 rpm. That is twice the safe speed, even for modern blades. The extra power is a good thing. It means the motor is less likely to bog down on heavy cuts. But you don't want to turn a blade that fast. Bad things can happen and I don't want to see a friend hurt if it can be avoided. On the other hand, if the two pulleys are the same size (may have missed that part of the discussion - bad reading skills), then you shouldn't have a problem. Just be safe, buddy. As much as I look forward to coming to Arkansas and hanging out one day talking turning and guns, I don't want to have to visit coming to a friend's funeral!

With you now. I checked and, by golly :eek:, the drive pulley is larger than the motor pulley.
So, tomorrow I go shopping for a new smaller drive pulley. Having a lot of trouble finding parts locally. If I can't find one I'll just switch pulley temporarily until I do find one.
Appreciate the concern 6900 rpm would be potential bad news. I like my face and fingers. :rolleyes:

With you now. I checked and, by golly :eek:, the drive pulley is larger than the motor pulley.
So, tomorrow I go shopping for a new smaller drive pulley. Having a lot of trouble finding parts locally. If I can't find one I'll just switch pulley temporarily until I do find one.
Appreciate the concern 6900 rpm would be potential bad news. I like my face and fingers. :rolleyes:

Frank, please, we already went over this. The motor pulley is always going to be larger than the arbor pulley, the question is, how much? Stop going off half-cocked and just figure the proper course of action. Just go measure them and do the math.

See my post #25 in your old thread (HERE: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?27673-new-old-saw&p=340204#post340204) and just do the math. It will take longer to take the measurements than to punch the numbers in the calculator... but then you'll KNOW the answer.

Last edited:
So, tomorrow I go shopping for a new smaller drive pulley...

If by "drive pulley" you mean the one on the arbor of the saw, I think it'd much easier to switch the pulley on the motor instead.

I'll also second what David said and highly recommend that you measure the pulleys you already have and do the math before you throw any more money at the problem. ;)

The following is a quote from one of the threads here.

the pulley recommendations in the old manuals are based on 1725 rpm motors, a 3450 rpm motor will require a pulley half that size you should check the arbour pulley too, it may have been changed at some time.

with a 3450 rpm motor, the typical ratio is 1 to 1 for an arbour speed of 3450, a 1725 motor will need a 2 to 1 my old beaver 3200 has a 4 inch on the motor and a 2 on the arbour with a 1725 rpm motor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note the text in red. Not to take away from, or contradict what David said, but my 8 yr old Delta has a 3450 rpm motor and both pulleys are the same size. If the motor pulley were larger, the balde would spin faster (as David's math supports). And I don't think you want that. I know I wouldn't. But that's just me.

Billy - Sure. That's why he has to measure.

Many modern saws, most I'd even wager, run in the 4000+ range. All Powermatic 2000 cabinet saws run at 4300, for instance. Powermatic 64B contractor saws run at 4000. Makita's direct drive jobsite saw runs at 4800rpm while Ridgid's 4512 contractor saw runs at 3450 and most Grizzly contractor saws run at 4000. SawStop is 4000 rpm.

Noted, David. And 4000 rpm doesn't scare me much, but I don't know how comfortable I'd be with much faster. I just didn't want Frank to install the old 1725 pulley on that 3450 motor and double his blade speed. I trust today's well made, name brand saw blades, but if their limits are exceeded... Well, you know.

Frank, please, we already went over this. The motor pulley is always going to be larger than the arbor pulley, the question is, how much? Stop going off half-cocked and just figure the proper course of action. Just go measure them and do the math.

See my post #25 in your old thread (HERE: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?27673-new-old-saw&p=340204#post340204) and just do the math. It will take longer to take the measurements than to punch the numbers in the calculator... but then you'll KNOW the answer.

"In general, if the motor pulley is bigger than about 2.25", it's designed for a low speed motor. In general, most saws want to spin a 10" blade at around 4000-4200 rpm (arbor speed; arbor RPM). A 3450rpm motor needs 2.125" on the motor and 1.75" on the arbor to get 4200. A 1725 motor would need something like 4.25" on the motor and 1.5" on the arbor. Those are just round numbers for you...

You can figure it out:

(Motor RPM * Diameter of Motor Pulley) / Diameter of Arbor Pulley = RPM of Blade."

OK. My motor pulley measures 1.75" in the groove, the blade pulley measures 1.50". The 'rithmetic says my 3450 rpm motor will spin the blade at 4036 rpm. Looks like it is right on track with that. Plus the 3 hp. will give a good cut, I'm confident.
Hoping the switch arrives today.:crossed:

Best of luck Frank, glad you got it measured and sorted. Looking forward to some good news. And btw if you need a pulley before you buy give me a holler i got a couple of spares. Have no idea on their size but will check if you need and happily send em to you.

Link belt might also be a nice upgrade when the tool budget permits.

Those are numbers I could live with, Frank. I didn't intend to take this to extremes, I'd just rather be over cautious than under the dirt!

And I agree with Rob on the link belt. Well worth the money when you can swing it.

Best of luck Frank, glad you got it measured and sorted. Looking forward to some good news. And btw if you need a pulley before you buy give me a holler i got a couple of spares. Have no idea on their size but will check if you need and happily send em to you.

Link belt might also be a nice upgrade when the tool budget permits.

Thanks Rob. I'm good on the pulley front. Those link belts have gotten good reviews. Since I have an OK working belt now I won't go to the extra expense at this time. I understand the linker run very smoothly and last a long time. Might be very useful on Reeves drive equipment.

OK. My motor pulley measures 1.75" in the groove, the blade pulley measures 1.50". The 'rithmetic says my 3450 rpm motor will spin the blade at 4036 rpm. Looks like it is right on track with that. Plus the 3 hp. will give a good cut, I'm confident.
Hoping the switch arrives today.:crossed:

Fantastic! I think Vaughn was right... the original 3450 blew and someone threw a 1725 on it and that's why you couldn't cut wet tissue paper. Put 1725 into the equation: the old motor was only spinning the blade at 2012 rpm! With 3hp spinning the blade at the correct speed, that thing should be a monster!

Last edited: