CNC Router Dust Shoe

Jason Beam

Well after making the very first cut with the CNC router I just built, it became painfully obvious that I absolutely needed some kinda dust collection fast. So here's what I designed...

Design - gantry - side.jpgDesign - gantry only.jpgDesign - Iso - front.jpgDesign - Iso - rear.jpgDesign - mounted.jpgDesign - Side.jpg

Turns out 1" thick polycarbonate is pricy - like $70 for the piece I'd need. So I went with 3/4" Baltic birch instead. Using the above sketchup model, I used PhlatScript to output some G-code for it and the polycarbonate pieces ... Here's that BB bit:

SDC12068.jpg

That was last weekend. Today I finished up everything to get it mounted. The aluminum blocks gave me some fits - had my first real crash (1/2" spiral bit into my steel screwless vise, ouch!) last sunday - today went much better and I got all the parts made and it's all mounted now:

SDC12075.jpgSDC12076.jpgSDC12077.jpgSDC12078.jpgSDC12079.jpgSDC12080.jpg

All that's left now is plumbing it - I'll do that tomorrow.

Looks great!

You certainly took a different design path than the one I have on the iCarver, we should compare results to see pros and cons!

Cheers!

Jason I admire you and your work and heck man you one darn good engineer.:thumb: Looks good are you going to attach a brush type skirt to it. My guess is that many of the parts you have come up with could be offered for sale for use in other peoples builds.

I am just thinking that your design could work well for a handheld router just adapted size and length wise to suite. Nice that one can see through the entire thing.

I might add a skirt .. haven't fully decided yet. Some guys have reported that the brushes they found are too stiff and can jam when moved in a certain direction. The design I went with is one that doesn't travel up and down with the router, it stays at a set distance from the work. The reason I went this route was I saw some videos of both designs and noticed this style seems to have the best collection in 2D and 2.5D work, which is what I will likely be doing most of the time.

I'll be putting it to the test today and see how well it works and how far away from the work it can be and still be effective. I'm also probably going to need some different clamping strategies for this kinda thing, too - lower profile style clamps would sure help me keep the shoe low and not have to worry about crashing it.

I might make some parts to sell someday - I figure I've got about a year or so of playing with and learning this thing before I try to make any "for pay" projects on it. Someday, though, I do plan for this machine to be an income supplement :D

Stu - I'd love to see what you've got for yours - I'm always interested in seeing other guys' machines. I'll shoot some video of mine today and we can compare :)

Thanks for lookin', fellas!

Have not watched the second vid yet.

Why not a brush, or door sweep around the router? Or make up a sleeve that fits one inside the other around the router, like one of those collapsable camping cups?
Going to watch the second vid :D

That will and does work, but it becomes a pain to position your cutter, why not think outside the circle and do a box with four brushes like I have on my iCarver, have one brush removable so you can see the bit when you position it, then put the brush back you are done?
IMG_4247.jpg

With the front brush removed to see the cutter for positioning.

Also about hold downs......

Shop Fox D3347
d3347.jpg

2. General 95-300

Might work well?

Or make up a sleeve that fits one inside the other around the router, like one of those collapsable camping cups?

I had that exact thought in mind, too! I may pop by TAP plastics to see what they have in the nestable tube department. It'd be clearer than the hose.

That will and does work, but it becomes a pain to position your cutter, why not think outside the circle and do a box with four brushes like I have on my iCarver, have one brush removable so you can see the bit when you position it, then put the brush back you are done?

I considered brushes - but I've read some stuff on CNC Zone that the brushes can sometimes jam if the movement is just right. I think with the router being pushed straight up and down like it is, I'd want a brush with a "tilt" to it so that it automatically tips over instead of bunching together and jamming. Also, a dense enough brush to keep the dust from flying is something I haven't seen. I'll keep an eye out, but this hose thing seems to be Just the Ticket (tm)

Also about hold downs......

Shop Fox D3347
View attachment 69714

2. General 95-300

Might work well?

This is exactly what I was thinking about - thank you for doing the googling for me! :D